Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944988 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Top Films of All Time
« Reply #5070 on: August 09, 2018, 09:33:10 AM »
It's been 4 years since we've done a forum Top 100, so I think we should really consider organizing this perhaps next spring/summer after filmspots season has come to a close. I would be more than happy to spearhead the effort because I really think it's something that would be a lot of fun!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5071 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
I agree.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5072 on: August 09, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
I would love to see a Forum 100 so long as we can get enough people to submit lists. There are more active members than people who participate in group projects.

Grave of the Fireflies is in my Top 100 and I strive to re-evaluate those films every 10 years. Of course there are many I watch more often, but I set the 10 year mark for films like Fireflies that need more of a push.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5073 on: August 09, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
I would love to see a Forum 100 so long as we can get enough people to submit lists. There are more active members than people who participate in group projects.

Perhaps if we get the word out now, it will give people nearly a year to prepare and get to their lists, so it would be less intimidating for more people to participate.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5074 on: August 09, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
How much prep do you think people will do? I know there's always the complaint of "if only I had more time", but people aren't going to focus on this until Filmspots are done. I like the time of year you staked out but I still think it's going to be a concentrated focus in that Spring window.

I also think part of this effort is going to be updating the Thread Index. There are many who might be happy submitting their most recent post.

I never understood the math of a compilation list. Does it benefit to put a minimum-maximum on the number of submissions? No less than 25, no more than 150? How easy is it to plug in a list and then recalculate the numbers when someone submits an updated list?

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #5075 on: August 09, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
I can't say anything bad about a list that has 3 of my 4 favourite Miyazaki movies in its Top 10. Bit odd to see Budapest Hotel there without any other Wes Anderson movie, but I've just remembered you've still to catch up with them.

It's been 4 years since we've done a forum Top 100, so I think we should really consider organizing this perhaps next spring/summer after filmspots season has come to a close. I would be more than happy to spearhead the effort because I really think it's something that would be a lot of fun!

I'd like this. I've actually been rewatching more movies that I like instead of trying new things. Bit scarred about dropping things of the list and having to find something to replace them with though.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5076 on: August 09, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »
1SO,

Lol, I hadn't got as far as calculations, etc. Was just throwing the idea out there with plenty of time to figure out the details. But we should start having these discussions and making these decisions so when the time comes we have all our ducks in a row.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5077 on: August 09, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
How much prep do you think people will do? I know there's always the complaint of "if only I had more time", but people aren't going to focus on this until Filmspots are done. I like the time of year you staked out but I still think it's going to be a concentrated focus in that Spring window.

I think that we need to schedule it in a given month.  Then we need to remind folks two months ahead.  And then give a real push the month before.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #5078 on: August 09, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
I think doing a new Top 100 would be great. And agree with oldkid's suggestion for choosing a month and then regular updates and outreach to try and get as many submissions as possible.

Would be a good way to combat the post-Filmspots lull on the boards (of which I'm as guilty as the next).

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #5079 on: August 09, 2018, 07:59:01 PM »
Maybe even see if we can get a push on the show about 6 weeks before voting.

love