Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944501 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Top Films of All Time
« Reply #5120 on: August 15, 2019, 09:29:33 PM »
My next top 100 will be populated with a bunch of YouTube videos I enjoyed. ;-)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5121 on: August 15, 2019, 11:21:19 PM »
Once, in the Filmspots, someone padded their Documentary nominations with the titles of random real-life YouTube clips, and I didn't realize it was a joke (assuming it was), and the amount of extra time I spent tallying those votes, cluttering the FYC threads with them, and evaluating them for future eligibility wasn't insignificant.

pixote

Reading the full discussion that includes this post shows that I've been having this debate for years. It includes an incisive comment by MartinTeller.

If you want to make the case that season 4, episode 12 of "Dukes of Hazzard" is one of the top 5 "films" of its year, more power to you.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5122 on: August 17, 2019, 12:33:12 AM »
Im having trouble populating my top 100, so maybe i should look to Dukes. :D

Im trying just to make it a list of films that I am actively super high on. There are many films that I think are just played out for me. Theyve been favourites, ive seen them many times, but the spark to want to see it again just isnt there. Or if the last veiwing left me "meh", then its gone. I was sure i was going to have It Follows on my list but a 3rd viewing recently didnt spark me... Now im kind of done with it, even though i think its excellent. :-\ I personally am not feeling the things i first did when watching it. The enthusiasm. And there's films i just havent seen in a while and dont really know if they'd still do it for me or not... Its hard to know. A recent-ish viewing of Crouching Tiger blew me away.... Even after having seen it several times over the years, something about it was suddenly extra good to me and i felt the need to move it way up my list. Whereas my last viewing of The Village fell a bit flat. :-\

I dont think I'm watching enough, often enough, to maintaina top 100 which will satisfyy conditions.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5123 on: August 17, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »
According to the rules you can do a top 75 or 80. 

There have been a number of different lists we've been playing with as well.   Essentials, movies we think others should see, animation lists.  Perhaps you could give us a best action films or something.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5124 on: August 17, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »

There have been a number of different lists we've been playing with as well.   Essentials, movies we think others should see, animation lists.  Perhaps you could give us a best action films or something.

I've got a solid 38 in my A team, and another 40 or so in my B team.  Good enough for now I guess. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #5125 on: August 21, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »

I've got a solid 38 in my A team, and another 40 or so in my B team.  Good enough for now I guess. :)

Sounds good.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #5126 on: August 25, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »
Instead of an updated list (which I'll work on ranking later), I made a little movie watchers guide out of my top 100.

All you have to decide is that you want to watch a movie, and this little site will find you the perfect film to fit your mood. ;)

Try it out! :)

Of course it works a lot better if you haven't any of the movies but nevermind... I had fun making it. :))

Google Sites is even easier to use than Squarespace. I'm impressed with it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:34:03 PM by smirnoff »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5127 on: August 25, 2019, 07:29:07 PM »
I got Perfect Sense, which I've never seen.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #5128 on: August 25, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »
V FOR VENDETTA, I do need to see that and join the deep discussion
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5129 on: August 25, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
That's super fun. Thanks for making it!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love