love

Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944258 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2009, 04:39:01 PM »
Ask me tomorrow, well, y'know...

One film per Director:

1.The Third Man
2.Once Upon A Time In America
3.8 1/2
4.Barton Fink
5.Brazil
6.Raging Bull
7.Army Of Shadows
8.Hannah and Her Sisters
9.Days Of Heaven
10.Stroszek
11.The Long Goodbye
12.This Is Spinal Tap
13.Raiders Of The Lost Ark
14.Punch-Drunk Love
15.Lawrence Of Arabia
16.Pickup On South Street
17.Breaking The Waves
18.Dr.Strangelove
19.Dead Man
20.Shoot The Piano Player.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

jimbojofre

Top Films of All Time
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2009, 04:23:34 AM »
Almost Famous
American Pie
Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy
Back to the Future part 2
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Dawn of the Dead (Original)
Dazed and Confused
Donnie Darko
Evil Dead 2
The Goonies
High Fidelity
Jaws
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Saving Private Ryan
Shaun of the Dead
Superbad
Superman Returns
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
Transformers

Why so serious?

Woodpecker from Mars

Top Films of All Time
« Reply #302 on: May 20, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »
20. À bout de souffle/Annie Hall, I can't decide :(

No cheating, you must decide!  ;)
Ok, I tossed a coin: Annie Hall it is. I think I'm happy with the result.
Jag vil knarka!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »
...I have all my ratings in IMDB, which lets me use reasonably sophisticated database queries. It was tedious to put everything in, but it's pretty usable now...

I'm not familiar with this -- is this a feature of IMDB pro?

Nope. Create a (free) account, log in, rate some movies. Then click on the "more" link to the right of the search box, then on "power search" in the left-hand column. To get your top movies of the George H. W. Bush administration, type 1989-1992 in the year field, in the filter area select Vote History in MyMovies/include, then select "Sort results based on my vote ratings", don't show IMDB vote ratings, and do show my ratings. Roll your eyes at the terrible user interface, and click Search. Admire Glengarry Glen Ross and The Hunt for Red October.

I use the "My Movies" feature, works to the same effect but is much handier, I think. Just click "Add to My Movies" after rating. I sort everything into a few different categories, such as "Seen", "Own", and "Series". You can customize how the lists are sorted and what fields are shown. So I have it set up so that one click ("My Movies") shows me a list of every movie I've ever seen sorted by my rating.

It also makes power-searching within only movies you've seen really easy.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2009, 01:46:56 PM »

10) Hotaru No Haka (Grave Of The Fireflies, 1988)

This movie was SO good but I dont think I could put it on a top 20 because I dont think I will ever be able to watch it again. Its number one on my "hard to rewatch" list for sure. If a race of sentient, but human looking, robots ever invade earth and we need a test to figure out who is human and who is not, we just show people this movie. If they dont cry they are not human!

First, my caveats:  I am a huge animation fan, especially Miyazaki.  And I can get "dusty-eyed" at almost anything since my son was born (don't know why, but so it has been for 16 and a half years).  Also, I have deep compassion for those in need.

That said, I found Grave of the Fireflies to not move me.  I apprecaiated their plight, and had compassion for them, but they were just never real to me.  So, as opposed to every Miyazaki or Pixar or even Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet, I had no emotions for these two-- they were just cartoon characters.  Two dimentional, flat.  So it was just a lot of depressing, but it didn't go anywhere for me.  Gave me some good info about WWII Japan, though-- not as much as Letters from Iwo Jima, though.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »

10) Hotaru No Haka (Grave Of The Fireflies, 1988)

This movie was SO good but I dont think I could put it on a top 20 because I dont think I will ever be able to watch it again. Its number one on my "hard to rewatch" list for sure. If a race of sentient, but human looking, robots ever invade earth and we need a test to figure out who is human and who is not, we just show people this movie. If they dont cry they are not human!

First, my caveats:  I am a huge animation fan, especially Miyazaki.  And I can get "dusty-eyed" at almost anything since my son was born (don't know why, but so it has been for 16 and a half years).  Also, I have deep compassion for those in need.

That said, I found Grave of the Fireflies to not move me.  I apprecaiated their plight, and had compassion for them, but they were just never real to me.  So, as opposed to every Miyazaki or Pixar or even Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet, I had no emotions for these two-- they were just cartoon characters.  Two dimentional, flat.  So it was just a lot of depressing, but it didn't go anywhere for me.  Gave me some good info about WWII Japan, though-- not as much as Letters from Iwo Jima, though.

I find it funny that Paprika moved you, a film with characters that were never in any way fleshed out. I liked Paprika, but in the realm of believable characters that can move the audience it doesn't exist.

frantastical

Top Films of All Time
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
1. Vertigo
2. The Philadelphia Story
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Casablanca
5. Heathers
6. Rear Window
7. The Silence of the Lambs
8. Star Wars: Episode V
9. North By Northwest
10. 12 Angry Men
11. Roman Holiday
12. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
13. Mary Poppins
14. Witness for the Prosecution
15. The Princess Bride
16. The Big Sleep
17. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
18. Gone With the Wind
19. Brick
20. Shadow of a Doubt

Sigh. Kind of a boring list. I need to see more movies.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »

I find it funny that Paprika moved you, a film with characters that were never in any way fleshed out. I liked Paprika, but in the realm of believable characters that can move the audience it doesn't exist.

Honestly, I find it funny, too. Why would a film that tries so hard to pull the heartstrings leave me cold, while a movie that is mostly meant to shock enthralls me?

Perhaps it is because Grave of the Fireflies is too close to the issues I deal with everyday (I am a pastor to the homeless and the mentally ill), and so I am numb to it?  That would be sad if true.  Perhaps it is because Grave of the Fireflies is just so hopeless, and as dark as Paprika is, it has a ray of hope?  Perhaps I am too focused on the imaginary that, in comparison, the stark realism of Grave just seemed uninspired to me?  Perhaps I will have to watch both again and revisit my opinions?  

I don't know.  But I know what I like, and Paprika really worked for me (although I note that it doesn't necessarily work for everyone) while Grave really didn't.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
1. Vertigo
4. Casablanca
5. Heathers
6. Rear Window
9. North By Northwest
10. 12 Angry Men
11. Roman Holiday
13. Mary Poppins
15. The Princess Bride
16. The Big Sleep
18. Gone With the Wind
19. Brick
20. Shadow of a Doubt

With the exception of Heathers, which I haven't seen, I think those are all great films! Welcome to the forum.  :)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
1. Vertigo
4. Casablanca
5. Heathers
6. Rear Window
9. North By Northwest
10. 12 Angry Men
11. Roman Holiday
13. Mary Poppins
15. The Princess Bride
16. The Big Sleep
18. Gone With the Wind
19. Brick
20. Shadow of a Doubt

I think those are all great films! Welcome to the forum.  :)

Agreed!!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

love