Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944752 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Top Films of All Time
« Reply #750 on: August 16, 2009, 06:34:08 AM »
When you quote these lists, it'd be cool if you could remove the images, just to keep things more streamlined.  Thanks.

Also, just so you know, the first post of this thread contains links to most of the lists that have been posted.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Columbo

• Film buff
« Reply #751 on: August 16, 2009, 06:36:05 AM »
Thanks, pixote. I'll modify my replies.  :)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #752 on: August 16, 2009, 07:17:46 AM »
The way you detest Singin' in the Rain and, likely by extension, are able to realize that it's nothing more than another generic musical even at its best makes me smile.

Columbo

• Film buff
« Reply #753 on: August 16, 2009, 07:27:13 AM »
I don't like musicals at all, so it's hard to please me in that genre  ;)  Of course I can understand why a film like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is so popular. Just not my cup of tea...

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #754 on: August 16, 2009, 07:28:20 AM »
I don't like musicals at all, so it's hard to please me in that genre  ;)  Of course I can understand why a film like SINGIN' IN THE RAIN is so popular. Just not my cup of tea...

Hmm. I'm smiling a good deal less, especially with the rating of The Incredibles at 7. How would you rate a film like say Fantasia?

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #755 on: August 16, 2009, 07:42:29 AM »
Interesting inclusion of Lantana. I like that movie.

Cheers, FifthCityMuse  :)

Unfortunately this movie is less-known... have you watched JINDABYNE by Lawrence?
I haven't but I really would love to see it. I don't know why I never got there.

Same here. I even have aleady bought it but the reviews weren't that great and as the dvd lacks English subs I am somehow worried not to understand the Australian English as not being a naticve speaker. Gotta give it a shot though...
I remember it getting pretty strong reviews over here. I would suspect that the Australian English wouldn't be too bad. I seem to remember reading that the main characters weren't native Australian anyway.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #756 on: August 16, 2009, 07:43:01 AM »
Worst List Ever
But you know. Whatever. I don't think there's anything here that doesn't deserve a spot. There's probably other things that should be here as well, but I was being a snob. I'm most disappointed I didn't see Eureka before getting the list in.

Here we go.

30. The Five Obstructions (Lars von Trier, 2003)
Disappointingly, this is the only doc on the list.

29. Vendredi Soir (Claire Denis, 2002)
My favourite of the limited Claire Denis I've seen.

28. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Pedro Almodovar, 1988)
Colourful, gorgeous, and just so much fun.

27. The Return (Andrey Zvyaginstev, 2003)
Moody, dark, brilliant.

26. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir, 1975)
Possibly the best Australian film ever made. The first half hour is sublime.

25. Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988)
Smart, brilliant, impossibly deep and potentially unintelligible.

24. Cleo from 5 to 7 (Agnes Varda, 1962)
One of the finest title sequences ever. And it only gets better from there.

23. Leon Morin, Pretre (Jean Pierre Melville, 1961)
Clever, funny, sexy, and pure Melville.

22. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
Superb.

21. Hunger (Steve McQueen, 2008)
Intense, visceral, and brilliant art. Fassbender is amazing.

20. Black Orpheus (Marcel Camus, 1959)
Full of life and joy in the best way possible. Also, scary and depressing as can be.

19. Seven (David Fincher, 1995)
Scary, thrilling, totally compelling.

18. Antichrist (Lars von Trier, 2009)
Compelling, confronting, brutal, and unexpectedly rich. It also has the best performance of the decade.

17. I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (Tsai Ming-Liang, 2006)
An utterly compelling and rich examination of the care structures in place in society. Great closing shot.

16. Titus (Julie Taymor, 1999)
On the big screen, this is just impossible. It's visceral, it's gorgeous, it's violent, it's sexy, and it's just one hell of a ride.

15. All About My Mother (Pedro Almodovar, 2000)
Hilarious, wonderful, colourful, great.

14. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
One of my oldest favourites. The acting is amazing, and because of it, I will forever love Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi. So elegant.

13. Le Samourai (Jean Pierre Melville, 1967)
So cool. Just so, so cool. The influence it carries is awesome.

12. Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)
Singing? Frogs? Awesome.

11. Werckmeister Harmonies (Bela Tarr, 2000)
The opening shot is without par. It almost entirely stands alone as a short film on it's own. The closing shot is perhaps even greater. The themes, the ideas, it's all so great. If I'd seen it less recently than last night it might be even higher.

10. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick, 1968)
If there is an experience akin to seeing this in full, glorious 70mm, I'm yet to discover it. Beautiful. Rich. So smart.

9. Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972)
Minnelli is the best thing about this, but everything is so great. It is rich, beautiful, funny, and has the most incredibly handled turn of tone.

8. The Double Life of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991)
Beautiful beyond belief.

7. Last Life in the Universe (Pen-ek Ratanaruang, 2003)
One of the finest uses of visual effects I've ever seen. It's also heartbreaking, and wonderful.

6. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975)
This was made by Akerman when she was 25. It just makes me feel like an underachiever.

5. Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
Heartbreaking. Wonderful. Beautiful. The shortest three hours you will ever experience in your life.

4. Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee, 1989)
Potentially the most visceral experience I've ever had in a cinema, ever. It's an amazing piece of cinema. And deserves to be in the Pantheon.

3. Mysterious Skin (Gregg Araki, 2005)
I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt. This is subtle, moving, and utterly beautiful.

2. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
I can't believe it took me so long to see this. It's fun, it's beautiful, it's so well acted. Remarkably impressive.

1. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
I don't know what to say about this, beyond that it is criminally under seen. It made me adore Edward Yang, it made me adore Chang Chen, it made me adore Taiwanese Cinema. Everyone should see this.

So there it is. There's loads missing. Specifically, Sunshine (Danny Boyle, 2007) should be there somewhere.

I need to see more films.

I'm also incredibly disappointed by the lack of old films, but it's almost solely because I didn't start keeping a serious list until about 2 months ago.

Columbo

• Film buff
« Reply #757 on: August 16, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
@ FLY

About THE INCREDIBLES: I've only seen it when it was originally released and I know that I've liked it a lot (I guess I've rated in 9 then). As time goes by the movie somehow lost its appeal... I simply have to watch it again and I am sure I'll rate it higher then. I dunno... sometimes I really love a movie after just having seen it and after a while the movie just doesn't hold up...
Anyway... there isn't one Pixar movie I did not like. :)

About FANTASTIA: I did not like it and I've just seen it (like most musicals) because it was in the imdb top 250 which WAS (thank God not anymore :D ) a list being absolutely essential to me. I guess I've rated it 1/10 but it's a long time ago and I hardly remember anything about it.  ;)

Columbo

• Film buff
« Reply #758 on: August 16, 2009, 08:00:32 AM »
@ FifithCityMuse

I won't "massacre" your list as I haven't actually seen many of those movies.

Anyhow: some thoughts...

26. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir, 1975)
Possibly the best Australian film ever made. The first half hour is sublime.

I HAVE BOUGHT IT LONG AGO AND DIDN'T DARE TO WATCH IT YET. THIS COULD BE A LOVE IT OR HATE IT MOVIE FOR ME I GUESS.

22. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
Superb.

THE ONLY BERGMAN MOVIE I LIKE. IT'S JUST TOO LONG FOR MY TASTE.

19. Seven (David Fincher, 1995)
Scary, thrilling, totally compelling.

TOTALLY AGREE. THERE ISN'T A BETTER MOVIE ABOUT SERIAL KILLERS IMO.

18. Antichrist (Lars von Trier, 2009)
Compelling, confronting, brutal, and unexpectedly rich. It also has the best performance of the decade.

I'VE READ A LOT OF REVIEWS AND THIS MOVIE REALLY DIVIDES THE AUDIENCE I GUESS... EMPIRE HAS RATED IT **** WHEREAS TOTAL FILM GAVE IT JUST *  THE PLOT SOUNDS VERY STRANGE AND ALTHOUGH I LIKE DOGVILLE AND MANDERLAY I AM NOT SURE IF I WANNA WATCH THIS.

15. All About My Mother (Pedro Almodovar, 2000)
Hilarious, wonderful, colourful, great.

I AGREE.

14. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
One of my oldest favourites. The acting is amazing, and because of it, I will forever love Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi. So elegant.

ABSOLUTELY. THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW WUSHU-MOVIES WHICH DIDN'T JUST HAVE GREAT ACTION SCENES BUT ALSO GOT ME EMOTIONALLY INVOLVED.

13. Le Samourai (Jean Pierre Melville, 1967)
So cool. Just so, so cool. The influence it carries is awesome.

A BIT TOO COOL FOR MY TASTE. I FELT HARD TO SYMPATHIZE WITH DELONS CHARACTER. GOOD MOVIE THOUGH: :)

12. Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999)
Singing? Frogs? Awesome.

I AGREE. AND TOM CRUISE CAN ACT!

8. The Double Life of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991)
Beautiful beyond belief.

YES THAT'S TRUE OF COURSE BUT THE PLOT WAS JUST TO CONFUSING FOR MY TASTE. GOTTA WATCH IT AGAIN. I LOVE KIESLOWSKIS MOVIES AND ESPECIALLY JACOBS PERFORMANCE IN ROUGE SO I HOPE I'LL LIKE IT BETTER NEXT TIME.

2. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)
I can't believe it took me so long to see this. It's fun, it's beautiful, it's so well acted. Remarkably impressive.

I THINK IT'S A BIT OVERRATED AS I LIKE YOJIMBO OR IKIRU MUCH BETTER BUT MAYBE IT'S JUST THAT IT'S TOO LONG FOR ME... I GUESS I'VE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH LONG MOVIES AS MATTY (OR WAS IT ADAM?) HAS...

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #759 on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »
@ FLY

About THE INCREDIBLES: I've only seen it when it was originally released and I know that I've liked it a lot (I guess I've rated in 9 then). As time goes by the movie somehow lost its appeal... I simply have to watch it again and I am sure I'll rate it higher then. I dunno... sometimes I really love a movie after just having seen it and after a while the movie just doesn't hold up...
Anyway... there isn't one Pixar movie I did not like. :)

About FANTASTIA: I did not like it and I've just seen it (like most musicals) because it was in the imdb top 250 which WAS (thank God not anymore :D ) a list being absolutely essential to me. I guess I've rated it 1/10 but it's a long time ago and I hardly remember anything about it.  ;)

I'm...so...conflicted.