Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944331 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Top Films of All Time
« Reply #1370 on: March 20, 2010, 11:28:21 PM »
I'm not sure I'll ever be happy with my top 100...I like my top 20-30 a lot but as it goes along I just get the sense that I'm putting too much weight on single viewings and its inevitable recency or nostalgia bias.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #1371 on: March 20, 2010, 11:37:34 PM »
the pitfalls of list making ;)
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1372 on: March 21, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »
+ I just don't really like Anderson's style in the first place.

That would do it right there-- A book you love done in a style you don't care for.

I don't mind Anderson's style, but I tend to get bored with it by the end of a movie.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1373 on: March 21, 2010, 11:27:47 AM »
Wes Anderson kind of sucks, but when he makes any future films they should all be animated, it allows him to showcase what I feel is his greatest strength: a meticulous eye that attempts to set each frame up exactly how he has the shot scripted in his mind. There's no problems with the camera being unable to do something, or actors moving a second or two too fast and throwing off the entire sequence, or anything that he should not be in complete control of, which is pretty impressive I think.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1374 on: March 21, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
Wes Anderson kind of sucks, but when he makes any future films they should all be animated, it allows him to showcase what I feel is his greatest strength: a meticulous eye that attempts to set each frame up exactly how he has the shot scripted in his mind. There's no problems with the camera being unable to do something, or actors moving a second or two too fast and throwing off the entire sequence, or anything that he should not be in complete control of, which is pretty impressive I think.

I completely agree. 

But his style is just... boxy, unrealistic and better for stills than for film.  Again, I don't really have a problem with it, but for precise framing of an image, I prefer Terry Gilliam.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #1375 on: March 21, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
Since when did Mise-en-scene have to be "realistic"? Wes Anderson strikes me as one of the few American directors today who actually has respect for the frame and the image.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #1376 on: March 22, 2010, 02:50:14 AM »
Looking only at your 100, we have these in common:

#2:  Dekalog (1992) Krzysztof Kieślowski
#43:  Persona (1966) Ingmar Bergman
#61:  The Godfather 1 + 2 (1972-1974) Francis Ford Coppola
#65:  Seven Samurai (1954) Akira Kurosawa
#76:  The Appartment (1960) Billy Wilder
#82:  Three Colours Trilogy (1993-1994) Krzysztof Kieślowski
#83:  In the Mood for Love (2000) Wong Kar Wai

Though, A Short Film About Killing was a stand-in for The Decalogue, Three Colors: White wouldn't rank and Red would probably be in the 101-175 range.

#35:  Alice In The Cities (1974) Wim Wenders

I think that makes at least two of us here that love this film.
Yeah, Alice in the City is a fantastic Wender's film!

I kind of included A short film about Killing and A short film about Love in The Decalogue, because they are extensions on it, although as single films they are better than the single chapters they are based on. I basically grouped them as a whole, and made a call on it ;) You probably notice I did that with all trilogies listed too. Blue on it's own would have ranked much higher, but white and red weren't quite as good, but I felt they still belonged together, and as a whole I put it at #82 :)

Your list will look different if you choose to participate in this year's Top 100 as The Decalogue is considered a tv series by IMDb and, as a result, will not be eligible.  (I like Decalogue 5 better than ASFAK.)  Grouping films of trilogies together isn't allowed, as well, from what I recall.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:40:15 PM by Still Schmer »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1377 on: March 22, 2010, 07:43:57 AM »
Yea, you should consider Love and Killing films because we wanna get them in the top 100 this year. Right people?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1378 on: March 22, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
Yea, you should consider Love and Killing films because we wanna get them in the top 100 this year. Right people?

I will certainly have ASFA Love on my list this year.

michael x

• Elite Member
« Reply #1379 on: April 01, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »
My 25 favorite films.

1. 8 ½
2. All The President's Men
3. Duck Soup
4. Goodfellas
5. Grizzly Man
6. Pulp Fiction
7. Once Upon A Time in the West
8. Casablanca
9. Seppuku
10. Kill Bill
11. Sunset Boulevard
12. The Big Lebowski
13. L'avventura
14. Double Indemnity
15. Lord of the Rings
16. The Seven Samurai
17. Fitzcarraldo
18. A Night at the Opera
19. The Godfather
20. Little Dieter Needs to Fly
21. Memento
22. Cleo From 5 to 7
23. A Day at the Races
24. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
25. The Godfather, pt. 2

8 ½ is a very firm #1, but the rest of the list is very close, and nearly interchangeable. Indeed, this list might look quite different depending on the day.

love