love

Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944466 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Top Films of All Time
« Reply #1520 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »
Good, standard list. Like seeing The Usual Suspects quite high. Not much from the 2000's, someone might need a marathon!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1521 on: June 27, 2010, 04:43:59 AM »
Good, standard list. Like seeing The Usual Suspects quite high. Not much from the 2000's, someone might need a marathon!

Ha ha just finished my Marathon, watched all these last night;

Top 50 of the oughties

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mulholland Drive
25th Hour
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Oldboy
No Country For Old Men
Training Day
A History Of  Violence
Brick
Amores Perros
Children of Men
Talk To Her
Punch Drunk Love
The Lives of Others
Infernal Affairs
SUNSHINE
City Of God
United 93
Roger Dodger
Hustle & Flow
Serenity
There Will Be Blood
28 Days Later
Momento
Traffic
Shaun Of The Dead
Inglorious Basterds
Kill Bill v2
Night Watch
High Fidelity
District 9
This is England
Vicki Christina Barcelona
Happy Go Lucky
Pan's Labyrinth
The Departed
40 year old Virgin
Zodiac
The Dark Knight
Jeepers Creepers
Volver
Moon
Anchorman
A Cock & Bull Story
Slumdog Millionaire
Thirst
Gone Baby Gone
Dirty Pretty Things
TELL NO ONE
Let The Right One In

I am old enough to have seen Star Wars when it came out (3 times). The cinema I saw it in is now a Hindu Temple! First film I saw at the pictures was Paper Moon, my mum took me when I was ill one day and I might have been underage. The Magnificent Seven was THE film on tv when I was a kid (with The Great Escape) and James Coburn was my hero.

Hope this puts in context why there aren't more oughties films in my top 100. I am an old bloke so my perspective might be different. I think the 70s was the great decade because Alien Jaws and Star Wars back up the Scorcese/ Lumet/ Pakula masterpieces.

Looking at my list above I have a feeling the film at the bottom might enter my all time list quite soon. It's a moveable feast.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:46:10 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

v4voluntary

« Reply #1522 on: June 27, 2010, 10:42:28 AM »
I have loved all these lists.  I cannot wait to make my own, I have about 1000 hours of cinema to watch before I could really do a thorough honest list but once I see all these movies I gotta see I will def make one. Cheers

PS.

It's unfortunate that my fav film of all time Kurosawa's Dreams is not on many of these lists from what I have seen.   :( :(
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:44:44 AM by v4voluntary »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1523 on: June 27, 2010, 11:34:28 AM »
It's unfortunate that my fav film of all time Kurosawa's Dreams is not on many of these lists from what I have seen.   :( :(

It was on my initial list but I really need to watch it a second time to solidify my feelings about it. I was distraught that Dreams went out in the first round of our 90s Far East Bracket and am hoping it might get resurrected but it doesn't look likely.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #1524 on: June 27, 2010, 12:01:35 PM »

It was on my initial list but I really need to watch it a second time to solidify my feelings about it. I was distraught that Dreams went out in the first round of our 90s Far East Bracket and am hoping it might get resurrected but it doesn't look likely.

It is going to be on mine.  Its right up there with Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ikiru, and Ran.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1525 on: June 27, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »

I didn't care for it. Not sure what people see in it. Enlighten me.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1526 on: June 28, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
The Lives of Others
SUNSHINE
United 93
Serenity
Shaun Of The Dead
This is England
Happy Go Lucky
Volver
Dirty Pretty Things
Especially like seeing these! :)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1527 on: June 28, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »

I am old enough to have seen Star Wars when it came out (3 times)...The Magnificent Seven was THE film on tv when I was a kid (with The Great Escape) and James Coburn was my hero.

Ah - sounds like we're about the same age.  I remember the line for Star Wars - we had to wait outside through 2 other showings - nearly 5 hours waiting outside the theater.  Worth every second.  Movies would never be the same again.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1528 on: June 29, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

I am old enough to have seen Star Wars when it came out (3 times)...The Magnificent Seven was THE film on tv when I was a kid (with The Great Escape) and James Coburn was my hero.

Ah - sounds like we're about the same age.  I remember the line for Star Wars - we had to wait outside through 2 other showings - nearly 5 hours waiting outside the theater.  Worth every second.  Movies would never be the same again.

Yes! Standing behind the 'line starts here for Screen 1' sign. The line snaked down the side of the cinema in a dark alley and you had no idea if the screen would be full by the time you even got into the cinema. You had to hope you would see someone you knew further up the line and then avoid a fight if the people behind you realized you were pushing in. Credit card booking and automatic machines for picking up tickets. Highly overrated!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #1529 on: July 04, 2010, 10:48:17 AM »
My ten favorites films (in no particular order except alphabetical)...

Adaptation
All That Jazz
American Beauty
Apocalypse Now
Bonnie and Clyde
City of God
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Requiem for a Dream
Schindler's List
Three Kings

My ten favorites of 00's (excluding those above)...

Dancer in the Dark
Elephant
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Inglourious Basterds
Memento
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Traffic
United 93
Wall-E
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard