Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 944309 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »
I always find it odd when people put recent films in their top 10 (or in this case 20) lists. I just have seen too many good classics to put anything made in the last decade in my top 20...well except for The New World. :P

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
They weren't classics when they first came out...
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
I always find it odd when people put recent films in their top 10 (or in this case 20) lists. I just have seen too many good classics to put anything made in the last decade in my top 20...well except for The New World. :P

that's because you're snobbery is blinding you.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »

While it's important to consider the way a film ages in terms of influence and transcendence, no one is really trying to assemble a list of the greatest films ever made. These are simply our 20 favorite films, most of which we've seen multiple times. I've seen Ocean's Eleven about 50 times, compared to Tokyo Story which I've only seen once. I love both of them, but in very different ways. Are you saying that a film is automatically better because it is regarded as a classic or that there have been no good movies recently except for The New World?
A$AP Fables

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »

Heh, I'm pretty much the opposite. I can't believe how many old movies people like. I watch em and their so... OLD! I'm usally disappionted. I usually get hung up on the acting style, or old fashioned feel... everything from the camera work to the music.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
Seven Samurai
Chungking Express
Casablanca
Rules Of The Game
Touch Of Evil
Pierrot le fou
Singin' In The Rain
Manhattan
The Searchers
Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans
The Big Lebowski
Playtime
Dr. Strangelove
Millennium Mambo
The New World
The Empire Strikes Back
A Canterbury Tale
Do The Right Thing
Late Spring
Once Upon A Time In The West
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

duder

• Elite Member
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 09:16:38 PM »
Completely off the top of my head here...

The Son
Rushmore
Bicycle Thieves
Dr. Strangelove
Manhattan
Sunrise
The Leopard
The Big Lebowski
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Third Man
Night of the Living Dead
Europa '51
Aguirre
The Godfather
Memento
Chungking Express
Mean Streets
Touch of Evil
Marnie
Sherlock Jr.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
Bloodsport

Fighter: "I heard you can get killed at the Kumite."
Jackson: "Only if you f*** up."

hahaha, I love it. Not something I'd expected to see on anybodies list, great as is it. I know where you're coming from anyways... I nearly made room for Demolition Man  :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Top Films of All Time
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »

that's because you're snobbery is blinding you.
Of course! ;)

While it's important to consider the way a film ages in terms of influence and transcendence, no one is really trying to assemble a list of the greatest films ever made. These are simply our 20 favorite films, most of which we've seen multiple times. I've seen Ocean's Eleven about 50 times, compared to Tokyo Story which I've only seen once. I love both of them, but in very different ways.
Okay, well that makes sense. I was just looking at the title and top 20 films sounds more like a serious list. If it was top 20 movies list I wouldn't have been misled.

Are you saying that a film is automatically better because it is regarded as a classic or that there have been no good movies recently except for The New World?
Definitely not on a film being better as a Classic. I just know that personally a lot of my top 20 films would be classics because I can go back and watch them and know that they are still technically proficient and thematically relevant. There's a handful of classics I hate (Which I won't get into here) so I'm not taking that position. As far as The New World lets just say I haven't seen anything that I think has been quite as good made in the past decade. Know tons of people would disagree but that never dissuades me! ;D

nat s

Top Films of All Time
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
 Working on my top 100 list now, but these are the top 20 at this point in time...................

After Hours
 Blue Velvet
 Citizen Kane
 Crimes and Misdemeanors
 Dead Ringers
 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
 Eyes Wide Shut
 Fearless
 Flirting with Disaster
 Ghost World
 Happiness