Author Topic: Top 5 Films about Science  (Read 5505 times)

lise

• Elite Member
Top 5 Films about Science
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 07:36:01 PM »
I really don't remember why I saw Master and Commander in the theater, it isn't my type of movie at all, but I actually remember getting excited when Paul Bettany's character discovered a new creature. I think I liked it in part because they didn't make his character insane, incompatent, or completely oblivious (or any other device they use to make scientists interesting on screen.) Somehow most of the movies with science elements I've seen lately have involved the releasing a toxic plague/computer virus/energy source/... that will end the world as we know it.

I don't know how it translated to DVD though. It as a visually stunning movie (if I remember right), but the pace of it was slow.

I almost forgot one of my favorite guilty pleasure science movies of all time... Real Genius! School for uber-smart science geeks, lasers, using dry ice to fool soda machines, and rigging a guys braces to broadcast messages. It is too much fun.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

JoshuaOst

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 08:25:20 PM »
I actually fell asleep during Master & Commander which I rarely do during movies especially when I see them in the theatres.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
Two science films that I really enjoyed and got something from:

Fat Man and Little Boy

Gorillas in the Mist

I loved The Mosquito Coast too, but don't know if it's science or insanity or both.

Also Peter Weir's filmography is powerful.  Better check it out here, wowser:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001837/
Texan Down Under

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 05:08:17 PM »
Is the Peter Weir love fest list?

I like Paul Theroux a lot, so I've always wanted to see ...Coast

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 07:00:34 PM »
Maybe I should try to watch gorillas in the mist again. I remember seeing some aweful gorilla pictures from Dian Fossey in one of my anthropology classes in college and couldn't imagine watching the movie after that.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

samrod

science...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 10:04:53 PM »
Not too sure if this qualifies completey as its sci-fi, but how about
Altered States.

I havent seen this in ages but remember being weirded out by it. HA.
Ken Russell, what a character!  : )

I later saw "Lair of the White Worm" and was even more weirded out.
(as a note i was about 13 when i saw these)

Then i saw "Gothic" and was just annoyed.

sr