love

Author Topic: 500 Days of Summer  (Read 13252 times)

Osprey

Re: 500 Days of Summer
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »
But then why is she playing with him?  Not the nicest thing to do.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »
Just some quick thoughts:

I really loved this movie, and what suprised me was it's willingness to tackle emtion and relationship issues head on. It uses what cuold be rom-com cliche but twists it by using these effects to create a different emotion out of the audience. Think of the Actual vs. Reality sequence. That could have easily been played for laughs, but instead Webb takes a different route and gives us one of the best scenes of the year, played enitrely for emotion instead of awkward silences. I love this movie.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
Just some quick thoughts:

I really loved this movie, and what surprised me was it's willingness to tackle emotion and relationship issues head on. It uses what could be rom-com cliche but twists it by using these effects to create a different emotion out of the audience. Think of the Actual vs. Reality sequence. That could have easily been played for laughs, but instead Webb takes a different route and gives us one of the best scenes of the year, played enitrely for emotion instead of awkward silences. I love this movie.

good point.  that was a great scene.
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Inferno313

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »
Love, love, love this film.. Honestly tied with Inglorious Basterds for my favorite of the year.

I do have to disagree with the majority on the ending. I think, for better or for worse, the ending is trying to be similar to the ending of The Graduate that the film refers to so often.. Sure, you could interpret it as a happy ending and that this is the girl he'll marry, but I took the way the scene was played out: How quick the narrator told us he was to fall in love again, and the number being reset to (1) that he's just going to make the same mistake again.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
Love, love, love this film.. Honestly tied with Inglorious Basterds for my favorite of the year.

I do have to disagree with the majority on the ending. I think, for better or for worse, the ending is trying to be similar to the ending of The Graduate that the film refers to so often.. Sure, you could interpret it as a happy ending and that this is the girl he'll marry, but I took the way the scene was played out: How quick the narrator told us he was to fall in love again, and the number being reset to (1) that he's just going to make the same mistake again.

I just think that he's learned not everything is about true love. this isn't the girl for him, but she's a new beginning, and he's finally learned his lesson.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2009, 11:54:25 AM »

I just think that he's learned not everything is about true love. this isn't the girl for him, but she's a new beginning, and he's finally learned his lesson.

You'd hope so. But given his God-awful reaction to the Summer situation, I doubt it.

My guess is he'd rather have 5000 Days of Summer than learn his lesson.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2009, 02:54:56 AM »
(500) Days of Summer (Marc Webb, 2009)
It's not a bad movie, but I didn't like it. I was cringing left and right...bonding over The Shins Smiths, penis game, drunk karaoke, "I was reading Dorian Gray", horsing around at Ikea, and about a bazillion other annoying things...I'm too much of a grump for this nonsense. I guess in the last act it subverts the MPDG thing, but the bulk of this is a bunch of cuteness that doesn't interest me at all. She's been wounded by divorce, loves Ringo, and is up for shower sex. Barf. Anyway, I get why people like it, it just wasn't for me.
Grade: C+  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:00:46 AM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2009, 02:56:10 AM »
holy grumpy!  ;D

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »
(500) Days of Summer (Marc Webb, 2009)
It's not a bad movie, but I didn't like it. I was cringing left and right...bonding over The Shins Smiths, penis game, drunk karaoke, "I was reading Dorian Gray", horsing around at Ikea, and about a bazillion other annoying things...I'm too much of a grump for this nonsense. I guess in the last act it subverts the MPDG thing, but the bulk of this is a bunch of cuteness that doesn't interest me at all. She's been wounded by divorce, loves Ringo, and is up for shower sex. Barf. Anyway, I get why people like it, it just wasn't for me.
Grade: C+  

Hi :).

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »
Amen. I was telling a friend about how much I disliked the movie for these exact reasons but it was all over once she discovered that Gordon-Levitt is wearing a Joy Division shirt at one point.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

love