love

Author Topic: Top 5 best GLBT films.  (Read 20700 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Top 5 best GLBT films.
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
A very interesting discussion with Colleen and Skjerva made me think of putting this top five together. I would love to hear their lists. Mine comes from a male hetero perspective but one in which I am the rare hetero couple among my group of friends.

1) Brokeback Mountain- perhaps not the best film on the topic but has to get this spot for being so widely known.

2) The Celluloid Closet- a great documentary on the subject

3) All About my Mother- Does a good job of addressing transgender issues.

4) Boys Dont Cry/ The Mathew Shepard Story- for showing hate crimes against LGBT people

5) Happy Together- great love story where even though the lovers are gay their homosexuality plays no part in the plot.

Some of the worst are Bruno and Kissing Jessica Stein. My lesbian friends hated Stein because it shows the woman turning gay because of men. It's the ultimate "gay is a choice" movie.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:20:07 PM by Clovis8 »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Top 5 best GLBT films.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
The only two that I've seen (and liked) are Rope and Orlando. And I don't know if Orlando even counts. And also My Own Private Idaho.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:08:50 PM »
i reckon i have close to 20 on my 100 that are LGBT films, another dozen or so if expanded to queer and doing close reads, and another couple dozen that do work in questioning gender norms, but in a more easily understood way i'll offer:

28. Happy Together
52. Milk
69. Paris is Burning
86. But I'm a Cheerleader (and 95. Itty Bitty Titty Committee, by the same director)

Brokeback Mountain

i am really looking forward to Swimming with the Lesbians and need to revisit The Times of Harvey Milk (it's prolly been 15-20yrs), i've recently fallen in love with all of Gregg Araki's films

i was just having a little conversation about queer film with my partner and her partner last night, wondering about the representation of queer film at film festivals. it seems to me there isn't a ton of queer film, not sure if this is true or that i'm just not very tuned in - i am guessing it is significantly the latter, but some the former.  of the queer film that is out there, we were wondering (a) if queer film ghettoizes itself to queer film festivals, and tangentially (b) how often queer film submits to non-explicitly queer fests, and when it does, (c) what is the standing of queer film regarding acceptance, meaning (d) is there a different level of production quality that is "less professional" than a non-queer accepted film?  the engine for questioning is based on attending last year's True/False film fest where of the 40ish feature and 10ish shorts, only one was queer film, a short - (e) is this typical?  i have frankly not paid much attention to this in my limited festival experience.  and (f), what are the queer fests you know of/have been to?
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
Madchen in Uniform is pretty awesome.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »
I have had this discussion with friends alot and we have concluded two things contribute to the paucity of queer film. 1) simple math, there are just less gay and lesbian people, and 2) they do tend to self-ghettoize by focusing on LGBT festivals. Part of this is pragmatic. They simply have a way better chance of getting into a LGBT festivals, for all the reasons we all know.

Also, in my opinion too much LGBT art focuses on the politics and struggles of being LGBT. This is completely understandable. However, for me the best LGBT films are those that have gay characters but that fact plays no role in the film (e.g. Happy Together or for a TV example The Wire). I think these are the best portrayals because they present LGBT as normative, which of course it is.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »
In trying to make this list I realized that there aren't (or I can't think of/haven't seen) as many good movies with lesbian main characters as gay males or even as transgendered.  

Also, these are all movies that are explicitly about GLBT-concerned plotlines and/or the main characters are all or mostly GLBT.  A movie that happens to have a gay character (Boys on the Side, 4 Weddings and a Funeral) isn't enough.  This is for my list only, not everyone's list!  I've just seen enough movies that I needed to narrow it down some.

5.  Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love -- I freely admit that this is not a very good movie.  However, it's still one of the best I've seen about two girls beginning a romance with each other.  It had good moments and some cross-class romance issues that reminded me of a John Hughes movie.  I also have a very soft spot for this movie because it was what Jan and I went to see on our first date in July 1995.

4.  The Birdcage -- Yes, it's commercial, yes, it's watered down Cage Aux Folles, yes, it has a straight guy (Robin Williams) in one of the lead roles.  Whatever.  I loved it, I love it, I can watch it over and over again and my GF and I quote lines from this movie all the time, especially Hank Azaria's lines as Agador the houseboy.  I should have remembered it for the underappreciated quotes list.  It makes me laugh and it's one of the first movies I can recall to show an older comfortable long term gay couple.

3.  (TIE) Before Stonewall, After Stonewall, and Milk--for the historical aspect in both documentary and biopic format.

2. Longtime Companion First non-cheesy, movie of the week treatment of the AIDS crisis and what it did to an entire generation.  I haven't rewatched in a long time so I don't know whether it holds up, but there are so many parts of it I still remember, particularly the ending, which always makes me cry.

1. (TIE) Boys Don't Cry and Brokeback Mountain for bringing more nuanced stories of gay and transgendered characters into the mainstream.  I'll be happier when GLBT as main characters in a mainstream movie doesn't = tragic ending, and when more openly GLBT actors get to play the GLBT roles.  And when interview questions to the straight actors playing gay aren't so focused on how the love scenes were managed.

I'll do some honorable mentions in a later post.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »
In trying to make this list I realized that there aren't (or I can't think of/haven't seen) as many good movies with lesbian main characters as gay males or even as transgendered.

Madchen in Uniform is pretty awesome.
86. But I'm a Cheerleader
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »
 I'll be happier when GLBT as main characters in a mainstream movie doesn't = tragic ending,

This times 100!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
Oh ya and the scene when the two men passionately kiss in Y Tu Mama Tambien, proves what I think is universally true, everyone is bisexual too some degree! :D

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
2. Longtime Companion First non-cheesy, movie of the week treatment of the AIDS crisis and what it did to an entire generation.  I haven't rewatched in a long time so I don't know whether it holds up, but there are so many parts of it I still remember, particularly the ending, which always makes me cry.

Yeah, Bruce Davison totally owns in that one.  :'(

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love