love

Author Topic: Top 5 best GLBT films.  (Read 20702 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Top 5 best GLBT films.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »
I have had this discussion with friends alot and we have concluded two things contribute to the paucity of queer film. 1) simple math, there are just less gay and lesbian people, and 2) they do tend to self-ghettoize by focusing on LGBT festivals. Part of this is pragmatic. They simply have a way better chance of getting into a LGBT festivals, for all the reasons we all know.

I agree with this.  Better chance of getting in and better chance of winning some kind of prize that can be advertised on the posters and DVD cover.  I haven't gone to many film festivals, just here and there in Atlanta when I can.  But I've been to the Atlanta Jewish film festival several times and there always seem to be quite a few movies with queer themes/characters that are either Israeli or Jewish.

Also, in my opinion too much LGBT art focuses on the politics and struggles of being LGBT. This is completely understandable. However, for me the best LGBT films are those that have gay characters but that fact plays no role in the film (e.g. Happy Together or for a TV example The Wire). I think these are the best portrayals because they present LGBT as normative, which of course it is.

Agreed.  I haven't seen Bear Cub or (can't think of the title of this one but it's about a very conventional "butch" male couple who have either an adopted or foster son who is very young but already acts very "gay" in the sterotypical sense, and their discomfort with it) but I think they are moving more in that direction.

When you hve a lot of time to develop a character and relationship as in a TV series, or as in the Dykes to Watch Out For comic strip, you can get a lot more subtle with your characterizations and show more everyday life stuff, so that's where more progress is being made.  In the 1990s you had all the big news "controversial" very-special episodes of Ellen and Rosanne and Melrose Place (the gay kiss!!!) but to the extent that you saw GLBT characters in movies they were of the sidekick variety.  By late 90s there were more movies that were the equivalent of the "gay" episode in a TV show--it's all about the gay issue.  So as gay characters become more the norm in ensemble TV casts and such then you'll start to see that in movies.  At least that's what i hope.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »

Madchen in Uniform is pretty awesome.
86. But I'm a Cheerleader

Haven't seen Madchen and didn't particularly care for But I'm a Cheerleader.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »
97. Silverlake Life: The View from Here  (Peter Friedman & Tom Joslin, 1993)

69. Happy Together  (Wong Kar Wai, 1997)

40. The Wizard of Oz  (Victor Fleming, 1939)

27. The Times of Harvey Milk  (Rob Epstein, 1984)

2. Wild Reeds  (André Téchiné, 1994)

(From Top 100.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:09:30 PM »

Madchen in Uniform is pretty awesome.
86. But I'm a Cheerleader

Haven't seen Madchen and didn't particularly care for But I'm a Cheerleader.
Shame about the latter, but the former holds zero similarities to it, so that's still a go.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Ronan

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
I didn't come up with 5 but Midnight Cowboy was the first one I thought of

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
Guys get all the good LGBT movies.  It's not fair.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

filmflam

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 07:00:45 PM »
Journey To Kafiristan.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »
I really need to see more. I'd agree with Colleen that Bear Cub is pretty interesting. I still had some issues with certain amounts of it, (namely the large amount of drugs ingested, but I suppose that's part of the world it represents), but I think it's a step in an interesting, new direction. It's especially great for showing an aspect of the queer world that is terribly underrepresented in cinema.

I also really liked Another Gay Movie, which totally plays with the American Pie formula, and is totally poking fun at the gay world, but also using it to suggest a more "homo-normative" (for want of a better term) world.

As for skjerva asking about seeing queer films at non-queer festivals, I saw 51 films at MIFF this year, and off the top of my head, only one was specifically queer - Land of Scarecrows. Unfortunately, it's also the only film I slept through. So I can't really comment on how well or how poorly it deals with the transgender issues it deals with. I suppose there was also Humpday, but I wouldn't call that queer. That said, there was another 210 odd films I didn't see, so I'm not sure how many of them dealt with queer issues. I'd guess it would still only come to around 1% tho.

Actually, they did show the doc Outrage, which I avoided because I didn't like how it seemed to suggest it dealt with outing people against their will. There was also another one on two lesbians from New Zealand (can't remember the name as of this moment) and Prodigal Sons, which was about a MTF transgendered person returning to their home town in rural America (not sure specifically where). So there does seem to be a relatively decent amount of docs there.

I suppose the difficulty for a festival like MIFF is that it comes after MQFF, so they don't want to double up on films. I'm sure MIFF would show more if they hadn't already been screened at a separate festival.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
All of the good ones are taken (save for Angels in America, which is a great film and a cheat answer.)  So I'm going in a different direction.

The Lost Boys: A handsome young man is targeted by vampires. Everyone is dressed like members of WHAM!

Batman & Robin

Top Gun

Jeepers Creepers 2: A man-eating monster might eat the occasional half-naked teenage boy. But when it's all he eats, the other monsters might start asking questions.  The winged monster targets a bus of mostly shirtless high school football players. Their team sing lengthy songs about "fighting cocks" while the three token female students sit up the front, bewildered.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: Freddy Krueger spends an entire movie trying to get into a young man's body.

Young Jesse, who has just moved with his family into a house on Elm Street, is suffering from intense dreams that make him wake up shirtless and sweaty, often times not wearing pants.

Jesse's habitual pantlessness continues at school, where he is always either at gym having his shorts pulled down, or else in the locker room, being tormented by a cruel coach.

Jesse dreams of going to a bar, where he is ambushed by his leather-clad coach. The coach takes Jesse back to the school, makes the boy run laps and then shower while he watches. But don't worry, the coach gets his comeuppance in the most appropriate way possible: By being attacked by balls.

The balls shower him, filling the locker room and bouncing in front of the screen as the coach cowers in a mixture of terror and fascination.

If you think we're stretching on the whole "slapped in the face by balls" thing, well, next he's dragged into a shower, stripped naked and whipped.

This film is the perfect storm of homoerotic horror: the "boys being stalked" theme mentioned above, coupled with 80s camp and topped off with a layer of extreme, pure, gratuitous capital "G" Gay.

There is nothing logical that can explain the level of homoeroticism in this movie. Rumor has it that the main part was originally written for a girl, but that doesn't come close to covering it.  Here, perhaps, we get to the real cause of all the flaming homoeroticism in modern horror. Just as film makers figured young girls would like seeing cute guys wrestle around in tiny shorts, they also knew what would disturb young boys.

Just take all of those fears young men have when they are their most sexually insecure, and run with them. It's not just a movie about a boy being targeted by a male aggressor. It's a two-hour spectacle featuring crotch shots, giant snakes wrapping around faces, and board games on shelves labeled "Probe".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:19:26 PM by 1SO »

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »
Love your list 1SO!

Re Humpday being "queer":  Au contraire, that was an extremely queer movie, it showed without judgement a number of ways for relationships to operate outside of traditional, heterosexual, monogamous marriage.  There was the poly lesbian couple where one member at least fools around with guys too, and the attempted 3some where the lesbians' "rule" was discussed, and the nonsexual but loving relationship between the two main characters, and the mostly monogamous hetero coupling where one member experimented with limited outside activity without disclosing it and the other member asked permission (eventually) for one episode within certain parameters.
To me "queer" denotes a whole range of non-standard sexuality.  Same-sex or bisexual attractions are queer, transgender is queer, BDSM is queer, polyamory is queer, even if all the actors in it are heterosexual.  So in that sense, Humpday is queer as CINECAST!

Hey my first attempt at spoiler blockage, hope it works!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 08:08:53 PM by pixote »

love