Author Topic: Cheap Thrills  (Read 1275 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Cheap Thrills
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »
Has anybody seen this yet, its pretty fun, I'm curious to see what everybody thought of it.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Cheap Thrills
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
My review:

Cheap Thrills is a mean and cynical film. While I do enjoy some cynical films it's often not something I'll be attracted to or enjoy. But this has a few things helping it out, including a reunion of the two main actors from The Innkeepers, Pat Healy and Sara Paxton. So if they were the two that got me in the door, did they do anything to keep me interested? Well, yes and no. The acting is consistently very good but it's what they were doing and saying that turned me off so much. I understand that I was probably experiencing exactly what I was supposed to be experiencing as I winced in revulsion at the increasingly gross and depraved things the two down-on-their-luck guys are forced to do for money at the whims of a rich guy and his detached wife. Is this another Spring Breakers? I get it, we're too obsessed with money, or society is so we have to be in order to get along. Also, rich people are evil. Is this all a giant exaggeration? Not according to the director: "I think it’s more of a universal movie. To say it’s a timely movie would suggest that things might get better, or that they were ever really great in the first place. Sure, the world economy is kind of in the shitter right now, but it’s always been kind of lousy. I’ve only been alive for 32 years, but I don’t think in that time it’s been such an idealistic, amazing system where everybody’s happy and healthy and eating well, and people aren’t taking advantage of them. When I first saw the script, it was three years ago. I didn’t think it was timely, I just thought that’s how people can be. It doesn’t matter the circumstances. They’re going to find excuses to treat each other like shit." Yeah, that's not gonna line up with my point of view. And a movie which puts forth that idea is probably not going to be a favorite, no matter how well made it is.

Basically, there's an episode of Adventure Time called Furniture and Meat which does all the same stuff but with a sense of humor and in 11 minutes.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Pink

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »
Junior is right on in that this is a premise that can be seen to its inevitable end in a short format. There aren't many layers to consider or explore with this idea. The sub-text is text. The momentum comes from anticipation of each new dare. It is superficial, but it is also effective. Spot on title in many ways.

All that said, the performances are strong enough to warrant the feature-length, I think. All four leads are terrific but Ethan Embry, in particular, really nails it. If there is any depth to be found, it is in that evolving relationship between Vince and Craig. It is a nasty and cynical movie, but at the same time all of the actors bring a spark of humor and joy to the proceedings in their own way. This isn't some miserable rabbit hole to slog though; there is a lot of fun to be had.

Or I'm just a deplorable human being.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
All I can say is 'Was so much fun!'

love