Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102003 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2009, 07:23:57 PM »
This is why Jeffrey Overstreet is my favorite critic Removed :-[

He removed it. To hot for the internet apparently.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:35:24 PM by lotr-sam0711 »

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
This is why Jeffrey Overstreet is my favorite critic

Warning: Might offend those who are religious or are allergic to any religious references

This linked me to an error ...
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:31 AM »
I really wasn't struck by Waltz. Good, but nothing special. Certainly not on the level Laurent is. Roth is serviceable.

I loved the music, which never detracted. The music over the closing credits was so great. I sat there wondering if there's a brass band arrangement available.

I thought the presence of Sam Jackson was totally, totally unnecessary. Of course, so was the narration in parts.

I wonder how much of a reference having Shosanna's partner named Marcel is to Marcel Camus? Or maybe that was just me.

It seemed so obvious that Tarantino was pulling stuff from everywhere, and it shouldn't've worked, but I thought it totally did. Like the presence of the labels pointing at the two other third reich members we hadn't been at that stage, which were totally incongruous, but I totally loved them.

The make up sequence is awesome. The face being projected onto the smoke, is, quite possibly, my single favourite moment of the film.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »
Waltz probably gave my favorite Tarantino movie performance after Jackson in Pulp Fiction, so hopefully it is adequetely recognized at the end of the year. Really impressive how he can slide between 4 different languages so effortlessly throughout the movie while holding together all of the little idiosyncracies from his character.

i purposely didnt read much on this movie, and it was much different then I expected. I thought we were going to get 2.5 hours of Chapter 2 (not that that would have been bad).

A lot of fun and does just about everything well. I really liked this a lot

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2009, 04:43:57 PM »
wow, this review frightens me.  How can a person start that many paragraphs with "As for?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
wow, this review frightens me.  How can a person start that many paragraphs with "As for?"

I expect the reviews on our site to be at least 50 times better.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
I've read good reviews on both sides. It has more to do with thinking skills and writing ability than which side you are on. I mean, why even draw sides? We all love movies, right?

mattybgame

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »
if i ever come close to saying: "a modified Juan Marichal moment in which a Basterd uses a baseball bat to bash the sense out of some Nazis: Three Reichs and you're out." feel free to relieve me of my duties ...

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

No hyperbole. That is the most annoying thing I have ever read.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »
Man, that is a TERRIBLE article.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a review or a profile of Lawrence Bender for the local angle.  The writer is so busy being clever with puns and jamming the titles of every Tarantino movie into the article that he often forgets what he was originally trying to say in a particular sentence, if he ever knew.  And the article has, seriously, 5 different leads in the first 5 paragraphs of the article--none of those thoughts/sentences connect with each other and all sound like the author is repeatedly clearing his throat and starting over. 

Weird, annoying and not at all informative about the actual movie.

love