Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 101871 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 02:03:43 PM »
Melanie Laurent deserves an Oscar nomination.

It was really nice that they got a bunch of Jewish actors and actresses to play Jewish characters.  Eli Roth, Samm Levine, BJ Novack, Paul Rust, and Melanie Laurent are all Jewish in real life.  Obviously Brad Pitt is not Jewish but the rest were all Jewish.

Pretty sure Aldo wasn't Jewish anyway. I was hoping for more Samm Levine. Can't ever get enough Neil Schweiber.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

The Mighty Celestial

• Wtf?
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
My favorite thing about the Basterds is that they take no prisoners because they are not in the prisoner taking bidness.
They're in the killing Natzi bidness.
And cousin, bidness is abooming.
On a scale of 1 to 10,
I give this movie a "9! 9! 9! 9! 9! 9! 9!"
"Criticism is the laziest form of expression ."

- some deep dude.

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »
That scene is where they needed somebody to do the sound for their film. It followed seemlessly after Shosanna alluded to using violence to get what she and Marcel wanted.

With Waltz and Pitt so lively and insistent it's easy to overlook Mélanie Laurent. Her role demanded subtlety and finesse but also the fire in the belly; the steadfast commitment to her principles common to many other Tarantino women. Laurent shined in this role and just shined generally - Tarantino embraced her unreservedly, always captivating on screen, a visual delight.

Let's not forget Daniel Brühl who I thought did a great job walking the line of being a loyal Nazi and being a pretty nice guy, great chemistry with Laurent too. 
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
The handling of language and cultural custom was amazing. The reasons people changed languages and the way they approached changes was completely realistic. Also, things like the differences in how an english person would signal 3 with their hands versus how a german person would do the same. These little touches really added to the film.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 07:19:36 PM »
Also, things like the differences in how an english person would signal 3 with their hands versus how a german person would do the same.

There's something similar in Black Book or some other recent WW2 film. Edit: Actually, it wasn't a recent film.  It was The Big Red One - The Reconstruction.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:49:51 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
Also, things like the differences in how an english person would signal 3 with their hands versus how a german person would do the same.

There's something similar in Black Book or some other recent WW2 film. Edit: Actually, it wasn't a recent film.  It was The Big Red One - The Reconstruction.

Which was directed by Sam Fuller, who is one of QT's biggest influences
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »
That scene is where they needed somebody to do the sound for their film. It followed seemlessly after Shosanna alluded to using violence to get what she and Marcel wanted.

With Waltz and Pitt so lively and insistent it's easy to overlook Mélanie Laurent. Her role demanded subtlety and finesse but also the fire in the belly; the steadfast commitment to her principles common to many other Tarantino women. Laurent shined in this role and just shined generally - Tarantino embraced her unreservedly, always captivating on screen, a visual delight.

Ah yes. And I totally agree, I LOVED her. After Waltz easily my favorite performance in the film. I love when she breaks down as soon as he leaves the room at the lunch with Goebbels.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:12 PM »

Ah yes. And I totally agree, I LOVED her. After Waltz easily my favorite performance in the film. I love when she breaks down as soon as he leaves the room at the lunch with Goebbels.

:) :) :) Glad you agree! That strudel scene was unbelievable and as good as her break-down was, it didn't linger, and we were off on the next thing...
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »

:) :) :) Glad you agree! That strudel scene was unbelievable and as good as her break-down was, it didn't linger, and we were off on the next thing...

Agreed agreed agreed.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »
Just got back from this and I'm still processing it. I really enjoyed it, despite an annoying out-of-place contact lens that persisted throughout the movie, but the extent of how much I liked it is up in the air. Unlike other Tarantino films, the episodic nature feels a little bit choppy. While I felt everything in Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill flowed together exquisitely, the chapters here seemed to alternate oddly, and it shook me a bit. I echo some of the concerns about music cues as well, some of the modern music QT uses just doesn't feel organic (an exception being the scene where Melanie Laurent is putting on her make-up before the premiere, I thought the music there was perfect). Also, Diane Kruger just didn't do it for me here - and it didn't help her that Laurent completely steals the show from her.

But on the whole loved most of the film, and I got into it just as much as I did Kill Bill. In my opinion, there's been far too much controversy about Tarantino trivializing the Holocaust and the rest of WWII here. This movie isn't about that, and it never was. It's about the movies that were about those events, and about other genres of movies put in this kind of setting. It's about the war setting in general - what does it mean to place a film in war time? What if you take a very non-war story style film and place it in the middle of a war?  I really loved what Tarantino did with it.

Also, as most have said, Waltz is fantastic. Loved Fassbender too. I'll also throw some love Denis Menochet's way as the French farmer playing opposite Waltz in the first chapter. He held his own in that scene beautifully and was every bit as good as Waltz in my opinion.

One last comment: I agree with FroHam that the Mike Myers scene was supposed to be funny. There's a reason Tarantino cast Mike Freaking Myers and not, say, Ian Holm. Rod Taylor spends the whole time sitting on a chair in the middle of the room serving little more purpose that to look like Winston Churchill, it's supposed to be ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:20:51 PM by gateway »
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)