Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 101874 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2009, 10:39:20 AM »
The scene with Shosanna putting on her makeup is probably the best thing that Quentin has ever done. Along with the shot of the two Basterds firing away in manic glee as everything around them burns.
Those were my two least favorite parts of the film. The first because of the awful music and the second because of how ridiculously over the top it was.

um that was the WHOLE point!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »
I was just thinking that I really loved how the Pitt character had an obvious rope burn on his neck, yet they never really mention it in the film. He probably survived a lynching, but its just treated as background to his character. These little touches really elevate the film.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
Inglorious Basterds

Everything that is good and bad about Tarantino.  Shamelessly exploitative, incredibly self indulgent and in bad need of editing.  But also smart, funny, exhilarating, and just plain a blast to sit through.

The Nazi officer was incredible, so swarthy and loathsome.  He is like a cross between the boss from The Office and Anton Chigurh.  Everyone else is great as well, even actor I normally dislike like Brad Pitt and Mike Myers are great.  The scene at the bar and the finale were absolutely incredible with the slow burn set up and the sudden explosions of brutality.

On the negative side, the whole thing was about forty minutes too long.  There were a couple of scenes that could have been cut (The Basterds sitting in the basement), and a couple more that could have been made alot shorter (the whole explanation of how Shoshana got to host the premiere).

Still overall a pretty great film

8/10        
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »

Colleen is right that you don't really care much about these characters. It's because they are all pretty much bad. There is no one admirable here. In previous Tarantino films we usually at least end up liking the characters. Here everyone is pretty much a rotten human being who deserves to die.

There's where I'd have to disagree with you. I can't really think of many "honorable" characters in Tarantino's movies, period. I think Roger Ebert once described Tarantino's movies as being "all villains," there's really no good character to be found (really the only exception I'd name would be Max Cherry in Jackie Brown). I couldn't think of anybody in Reservoir Dogs or Kill Bill who's anymore honorable than the characters of Inglourious Basterds. And you'd be hard pressed to find previous Tarantino characters who are more charming than Hans Landa (who much like Bill is a reprehensible person that you just can't help but be seduced by), Archie Hilcox (a character that represents pretty much all there is to love about the British) or Shoshana Dreyfuss (who on top of being ridiculously attractive is just as deep and easy to root for as The Bride).
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Basterds
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
Like most of my QT movie going experiences, I feel the need to see this again to really take it in. No matter how hard I try, I seem to go into his movies with a preconception of what I'm about to see...and it ends up being so different, I'm jarred a little. I liked it but right now it's only above Death Proof. That means very little though as I didn't think much of Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it (and now it's in my Top 5) and thought Kill Bill was a let-down (and now I love it.) I'll see it again sometime this week.

I had a similar reaction to Pulp Fiction. Thought is was meh first time around and then realised upon further viewings how amazing it is. While I don't need repeat viewings to know I loved IB, I hope they help you.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »
Sorry about all these one thought posts but I am working out all my ideas before I write a long review.

I also really like how the Pitt character steals snuff from the dead Nazis. Snuff (dry tobacco) is the more refined version of smokeless tobacco. Being a hillbilly the Pitt character would probably use dip, a moist cheaper version. The snuff is a higher class version, and QT is using it to emphasize how the Nazis felt they were more refined or higher class.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2009, 03:52:11 PM »
What was with the bad buzz coming out of Cannes? Totally the movie of the year so far.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
What was with the bad buzz coming out of Cannes? Totally the movie of the year so far.

The cut that played at Cannes was very different from the one being released. Harvey Scissorhands ftw!
A$AP Fables

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

The cut that played at Cannes was very different from the one being released. Harvey Scissorhands ftw!

Whatever it is QT did with the cut, it works. Big time. Hilarious film that is nothing more than a movie for movie lovers. A Rio Bravo about cinema.

Who else got secretly giddy over some of the references? The Clouzot marquee made me smile.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
There's isn't much difference between the cuts.  He added one scene (Pitt and Fassbender talking before the bar scene) and made a few trims throughout the film.  The result is the film's about one minute longer than it was at Cannes.

As for the different reaction: who knows?  Cannes critics think like sheep.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:18:30 PM by sdedalus »
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"