love

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 101863 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »
What was with the bad buzz coming out of Cannes? Totally the movie of the year so far.

The cut that played at Cannes was very different from the one being released. Harvey Scissorhands ftw!

Source? I think I remember reading in an interview with QT that there was no recutting (I could be wrong).

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
"Tarantino's scenes go on and on because he's in love with the sound of his character talking. This gets especially maddening in Inglorious Basterds because much of the dialogue is in German, so the words are three times as long. "

-Jeffrey Westhoff
Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)

Are there actually people this f*cking stupid on earth?

I just sent him a strongly-worded comment questioning his age and gender.

I dont think people thought it was going to have so many subtitles a lot of people in the theatre i saw it in were complaining.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2009, 04:20:22 PM »
That scene is where they needed somebody to do the sound for their film. It followed seemlessly after Shosanna alluded to using violence to get what she and Marcel wanted.

With Waltz and Pitt so lively and insistent it's easy to overlook Mélanie Laurent. Her role demanded subtlety and finesse but also the fire in the belly; the steadfast commitment to her principles common to many other Tarantino women. Laurent shined in this role and just shined generally - Tarantino embraced her unreservedly, always captivating on screen, a visual delight.

Ah yes. And I totally agree, I LOVED her. After Waltz easily my favorite performance in the film. I love when she breaks down as soon as he leaves the room at the lunch with Goebbels.

I loved her as well on the other hand Eli Roth was terrible.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
Interesting trivia on imdb:

Eli Roth and Omar Doom were nearly incinerated filming the fire sequence in the theater. During tests the flame temperatures reached 400 degrees centigrade, and during the take the set burned out of control and the temperature of the ceiling above them reached 1,200 degrees centigrade (2,000 degrees fahrenheit.) Quentin Tarantino was seated on a crane operating the camera in a fireproof suit, and none of them wanted to back down and ruin the shot. Fire marshalls said that another fifteen seconds of filming and the steel structure would have collapsed, incinerating the actors. Roth and Doom were treated for minor burns.

Yeah you can even see Eli Roth flinch in the final shoot out scene.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2009, 05:28:12 PM »
That scene is where they needed somebody to do the sound for their film. It followed seemlessly after Shosanna alluded to using violence to get what she and Marcel wanted.

With Waltz and Pitt so lively and insistent it's easy to overlook Mélanie Laurent. Her role demanded subtlety and finesse but also the fire in the belly; the steadfast commitment to her principles common to many other Tarantino women. Laurent shined in this role and just shined generally - Tarantino embraced her unreservedly, always captivating on screen, a visual delight.

Ah yes. And I totally agree, I LOVED her. After Waltz easily my favorite performance in the film. I love when she breaks down as soon as he leaves the room at the lunch with Goebbels.

Yeah I was pretty glad they kept his role to a minimum.  From all his name was thrown around and featured, I expected to see a lot more of him and was happy not to!

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »

Yeah I was pretty glad they kept his role to a minimum.  From all his name was thrown around and featured, I expected to see a lot more of him and was happy not to!

I thought he was great.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »

I thought he was great.

He was not annoying and pretty great at the end. I guess he directed Nation's Pride, too.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Dracula

• The Movie Vampie Blog
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »

I thought he was great.

I thought that the five minutes he was in the movie were fine, I don't think anyone would be complaining about him if he was a random dude from central casting rather than a known director (which is the same thing I say about Tarentino, Spike Lee, and M.Night Shyamalan whenever they do cameos that people complain about). 
Worth dying for
Worth killing for
Worth going to hell for
Amen

check out my movie review blog http://themovievampire.wordpress.com/

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »

I thought he was great.

I thought that the five minutes he was in the movie were fine, I don't think anyone would be complaining about him if he was a random dude from central casting rather than a known director (which is the same thing I say about Tarentino, Spike Lee, and M.Night Shyamalan whenever they do cameos that people complain about). 

Probably true.  And good point.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »
Quote from: some dude on IMDB
End of opening chapter, why did Landa let Shosanna escape? I've tried to rationalize it a number of ways, but none of them make much sense. Was it simply because he wanted to give her a "head start," knowing he would eventually catch up to her and relishing in the sadistic satisfaction that she would live out the rest of her days in fear? That was the best explanation I could give to the friend who went to see it with me.

Which I thought was a pretty good question, especially coming from IMDB. So I responded:

Quote from: this guy with the thumbs
I think he didn't care much about killing Jews (evidenced by his conversation with the guy hiding her family), he cared about figuring things out. He figured out that her family was hiding below the floor and that was all he wanted, really. He had to kill the family because it was job but she could have easily "gotten away". He is a bad man, to be sure, but he is mostly looking out for number one, I think.

What do you think?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

love