Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 61543 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 01:47:58 AM »
Uh, Kenny likes the movie a lot.  He's praising it for its structure.

His review.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:50:05 AM by sdedalus »
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 01:49:08 AM »
Uh, Kenny likes the movie a lot.  He's praising it for its structure.

Lol I guess I should have read it first! I assumed he was trashing it given what people where saying.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 01:49:48 AM »
I agree with Clovis in most every way. Except I will continue to believe the Mike Myers cameo was delicious parody.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
"Tarantino's scenes go on and on because he's in love with the sound of his character talking. This gets especially maddening in Inglorious Basterds because much of the dialogue is in German, so the words are three times as long. "

-Jeffrey Westhoff
Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)

Are there actually people this f*cking stupid on earth?

ian

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 03:42:28 AM »
Just saw it this evening. It is opening week in Australia so I expected the cinema to be crowded but it wasn't.

Well there were some very violent scenes in this movie. Long quiet parts punctuated by extreme violence - supposedly that's what war is like.

Surprisingly the two most grossed out people I saw were teenage boys row in front of me. The woman to my left was a little freaked but was keeping quiet about it. Maybe that means she was more freaked out.

Biggest laugh in the theatre was Lt. Raine speaking Italian with a thick American accent to the SS guy. People didn't really cheer when Hitler was getting shot, I think they were just confused at that point about the alternative history aspect of it. Though I'm sure there were a number of people who had heard about it beforehand.

Well there was no attempt in this movie to be politically correct and say Germans aren't Nazis and Nazis aren't Germans. The Nazis in this movie were very German, discussing philosophy and playing parlour games.

I liked the way Shosanna's face was projected on the smoke at the end.

I don't understand how everyone died so quickly in the bar, surely there would have been more survivors/wounded.

Drinking warm milk… ugh.

masterofsparks

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2009, 08:00:04 AM »
-There are scenes that don't work and one musical cue - a David Bowie song - that pulled me completely out of the film.  And not just any David Bowie song but the theme to Cat People, which, I am sure QT was alluding to in the sequence it being placed.  Still, didn't work.

In a movie where Hitler is murdered on-screen a music cue is what pulled you out?

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 08:04:16 AM »
Why don't I remember this shot at all?

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »
"Tarantino's scenes go on and on because he's in love with the sound of his character talking. This gets especially maddening in Inglorious Basterds because much of the dialogue is in German, so the words are three times as long. "

-Jeffrey Westhoff
Northwest Herald (Crystal Lake, IL)

Are there actually people this f*cking stupid on earth?

I just sent him a strongly-worded comment questioning his age and gender.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »
Why don't I remember this shot at all?

You ought to. I thought their story was the best.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 08:59:59 AM »
That scene is where they needed somebody to do the sound for their film. It followed seemlessly after Shosanna alluded to using violence to get what she and Marcel wanted.

With Waltz and Pitt so lively and insistent it's easy to overlook Mélanie Laurent. Her role demanded subtlety and finesse but also the fire in the belly; the steadfast commitment to her principles common to many other Tarantino women. Laurent shined in this role and just shined generally - Tarantino embraced her unreservedly, always captivating on screen, a visual delight.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx