Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 101870 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2009, 10:18:43 PM »
Quick question about the Kenny analysis (which was very cool, BTW, thanks for that link!).

He says that the fourth chapter (the one in the village pub) has the very long scene in the pub, interrupted by only one flashback--I can't recall that.

Don't have anything to add right now except hearty agreement with the positive comments above on the standout actors.  This was a really fun movie.  The only thing that bothered me some was that everyone seemed completely unmoved by the deaths or presumed deaths of their comrades, particularly fellow Basterds.  After all they had been fighting together for a long time, it seemed.  I know they were all larger than life fantasy characters and maybe the stoicism was as overblown as the rest of their traits.

I too wanted to see more of the Basterds, particularly how they evolved from the group in the recruitment scene to the unstoppable terrifying force they were in the next scenes.  I'm also hoping for an extended director's cut.

If there weren't so many other movies I want to see right now, I would totally go see this again.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
The one flashback was Til Schweiger's character thinking about his time spent being whipped in a German prison.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around these parts who disliked this film. I don't think it's bad, I just don't like it. I could cover a lot of the stuff that annoys me but I already posted a review and don't feel I have much more to say about the film than what I already put in the review.

Colleen is right that you don't really care much about these characters. It's because they are all pretty much bad. There is no one admirable here. In previous Tarantino films we usually at least end up liking the characters. Here everyone is pretty much a rotten human being who deserves to die.

If you really want me to I'll make a one man stand but I'm pretty sure no matter what I say everyone will tell me I'm wrong, making the discussion a bit one sided.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »
The one flashback was Til Schweiger's character thinking about his time spent being whipped in a German prison.

Oh yeah.  It was so quick and his character was such a cipher it went right out of my mind.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009, 12:23:29 AM »
Interesting trivia on imdb:

Eli Roth and Omar Doom were nearly incinerated filming the fire sequence in the theater. During tests the flame temperatures reached 400 degrees centigrade, and during the take the set burned out of control and the temperature of the ceiling above them reached 1,200 degrees centigrade (2,000 degrees fahrenheit.) Quentin Tarantino was seated on a crane operating the camera in a fireproof suit, and none of them wanted to back down and ruin the shot. Fire marshalls said that another fifteen seconds of filming and the steel structure would have collapsed, incinerating the actors. Roth and Doom were treated for minor burns.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 01:18:31 AM »
Interesting trivia on imdb:

Eli Roth and Omar Doom were nearly incinerated filming the fire sequence in the theater. During tests the flame temperatures reached 400 degrees centigrade, and during the take the set burned out of control and the temperature of the ceiling above them reached 1,200 degrees centigrade (2,000 degrees fahrenheit.) Quentin Tarantino was seated on a crane operating the camera in a fireproof suit, and none of them wanted to back down and ruin the shot. Fire marshalls said that another fifteen seconds of filming and the steel structure would have collapsed, incinerating the actors. Roth and Doom were treated for minor burns.

I know eh! Just when you thought things couldn't get any cooler.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »
Don't have anything to add right now except hearty agreement with the positive comments above on the standout actors.  This was a really fun movie.  The only thing that bothered me some was that everyone seemed completely unmoved by the deaths or presumed deaths of their comrades, particularly fellow Basterds.  After all they had been fighting together for a long time, it seemed.  I know they were all larger than life fantasy characters and maybe the stoicism was as overblown as the rest of their traits.

I took it as them checking their humanity at the door when they decided to become a merciless killing machine; they seemed to care little about whether they lived or died, like they were already dead (they were basically on a suicide mission from the start anyway).
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2009, 02:03:54 AM »
The scene with Shosanna putting on her makeup is probably the best thing that Quentin has ever done. Along with the shot of the two Basterds firing away in manic glee as everything around them burns. I don't know what look Eli Roth has at the end of that scene but it's almost quasi-orgasmic.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 02:09:09 AM by roujin »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
The scene with Shosanna putting on her makeup is probably the best thing that Quentin has ever done. Along with the shot of the two Basterds firing away in manic glee as everything around them burns.
Those were my two least favorite parts of the film. The first because of the awful music and the second because of how ridiculously over the top it was.

JolietJerry

• The Cinema Sandwich Podcast
Basterds
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »
Like most of my QT movie going experiences, I feel the need to see this again to really take it in. No matter how hard I try, I seem to go into his movies with a preconception of what I'm about to see...and it ends up being so different, I'm jarred a little. I liked it but right now it's only above Death Proof. That means very little though as I didn't think much of Pulp Fiction the first time I saw it (and now it's in my Top 5) and thought Kill Bill was a let-down (and now I love it.) I'll see it again sometime this week.

I will say that Waltz (I agree he should get a supporting actor Oscar nod) and Laurent were fantastic, followed closely by Pitt. I also enjoyed Denis Menochet's Chapter 1 scene with Waltz...they were both perfect. You gotta love Hitler's revised demise.