Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102095 times)

Fugee

• Elite Member
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
What did you think of the restaurant scene? When the two are alone... I loved it. Very tense.

Oh yeah! Good call. Probably the most tense scene in the film. On top of being evil, Landa is one of those characters you just can't take your eyes off of. Watching him operate in that scene was riviting.

I also felt the tension when Zoller comes up to the projection room at the end. I really didn't want to see the plan fail at that point. So when Shosanna got shot I was genuinely surprised. I wasn't sure if everything was already in place at that point or not. Luckily it was.

I wasn't sorry to see either of them die though. I wasn't attached to their characters.

Shosanna was an interesting character for me (not to mention the actress O.O hot), but I wasn't really attached either now that you mention. I did have an overwhelming feeling of "Yes, please, burn these Nazi's in a great inferno of justice" but her backstory was.. meh. One character I wish we would have had more of was her lover, who I forget the name of. He was so devoted and his "Oui, Shosanna" line and big smile was awesome to me.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »
Marcel.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »

i went to the first show of the day yesterday, so the gigantic theatre i was in had only about 100 people in it and crowd reaction was not ideal/a bit muffled.  but, when Shosanna gets dragged to the dinner and was thanked for "accepting the invitation" a guy in the theatre stood up and yelled "asshole!" - so great

Absolutely classic!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
What did you think of the restaurant scene? When the two are alone... I loved it. Very tense.

Oh yeah! Good call. Probably the most tense scene in the film. On top of being evil, Landa is one of those characters you just can't take your eyes off of. Watching him operate in that scene was riviting.

I also felt the tension when Zoller comes up to the projection room at the end. I really didn't want to see the plan fail at that point. So when Shosanna got shot I was genuinely surprised. I wasn't sure if everything was already in place at that point or not. Luckily it was.

I wasn't sorry to see either of them die though. I wasn't attached to their characters.

Shosanna was an interesting character for me (not to mention the actress O.O hot), but I wasn't really attached either now that you mention. I did have an overwhelming feeling of "Yes, please, burn these Nazi's in a great inferno of justice" but her backstory was.. meh. One character I wish we would have had more of was her lover, who I forget the name of. He was so devoted and his "Oui, Shosanna" line and big smile was awesome to me.

Mmm yeah. I remember being really worried for the guy, I was totally expecting him to get caught and roughed up by some Nazis while he was running around locking the doors.

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2009, 10:51:56 PM »
Marcel.
Oh right, Marcel. Yes. I really liked Marcel.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2009, 11:10:44 PM »
Marcel was naturalistic as hell.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2009, 11:14:03 PM »
The one character moment I still don't understand is Landa killing Bridget. Why did he do that?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2009, 11:15:51 PM »
The one character moment I still don't understand is Landa killing Bridget. Why did he do that?

That thought occured to me this evening.  My concluded that he figured she could only compromise his plans from that point forward.  I tend to agree. As good intentioned as she was, she really screwed up big time
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2009, 11:18:39 PM »

That thought occured to me this evening.  My concluded that he figured she could only compromise his plans from that point forward.  I tend to agree. As good intentioned as she was, she really screwed up big time
No no, that was a completely emotional murder, hence the strangulation. She was a former lover and he felt personally betrayed that she had strayed to the American side. It's part of where the film conflates national love with other human emotions.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2009, 11:20:25 PM »

I think it was a combination of two things. First, she was a traitor to Germany which would really piss Landa off given he values loyalty. Second, and I think this is more important, she insulted his intelligence with the mountain climbing story, as we see from his over the top reaction. His ego is tied to how others see his intelligence.  Insulting that would be the gravest sin to Landa.