love

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102090 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
Some minor responses to bits and pieces that I picked up on over these 15 pages.  Not picking on Clovis, he just happens to be the biggest champion of the film.

His writing is poetic.

Sounds like someone listened to his interview with Elvis Mitchell.

UGH.  I heard that too.  That was almost a parody of himself giving an interview.   Really bad.  Not sure whether to recommend people check it out or not.

look for the link on this page:  http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »
Some minor responses to bits and pieces that I picked up on over these 15 pages.  Not picking on Clovis, he just happens to be the biggest champion of the film.

His writing is poetic.

Sounds like someone listened to his interview with Elvis Mitchell.

Not since Pulp Fiction has a film felt so swift and seemed to be over so fast. At almost 2 1/2 hours, it feels like 45 minutes.

Weird, it felt pretty long to me.  That's not to say that was the case for each chapter, because I was surprised when I read how long Chapter 1 actually is.

The makeup scene is pure cinematography and is art at its highest form.

Not a phrase I'd ever imaging seeing connected with QT.

The mix of Marconi score and modern music helps us place the film in it historical context and emphasize that we are watching a Tarantino film.

As much as I love love love Morricone, using his cues has really become a crutch for QT.  What's wrong with getting an original score? Shit, he's still alive, why can't QT convince Ennio to make something for him?

References to Leone films can only enhance your movie.

Yeah, but not when you overuse them.  I think he's right on the edge, the next reference will put him over it.

I think this film will make future lists of the greatest films ever made. It is the rare Hollywood movie that is both fun and brilliant cinema. In some ways, it is Tarantino's doctoral thesis on film history masquerading as a WWII jewish revenge fantasy.

I guess this is one of those times when I just don't get it.  Overall I liked it, but it's probably my least favorite of his films.

In fact, he might even be considered a cinema plagiarist. He needs to make his own film, not rip bits and pieces of great films.

I don't think any of the criticisms being offered re: the various references are anything new, it's the same stuff that we deal with in every QT film.  I know some people think he handles it well, while others think it's lazy and artless.  I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.

I think his references in other films aren't as blatant, but here, he wears them all on his jacked which says: "I am the coolest and most knowledgeable movie geek ever," which automatically makes you a douche.

I don't know, Kill Bill and Death Proof are pretty explicitly blatant in their references.

I don't know who Elvis Mitchell is so I didn't hear his review. I am hardly alone in thinking QT writes some of the best dialogue in film. As for your other points, fair enough, we see the film differently. I agree I am obviously the biggest champion of the film however the vast majority of people loved the movie, both on the board and in general. Those who dislike it are in the minority, which is fine, but because I have been very vocal in my support some people are making it sound like I am crazy for my love of the film.

For the record, I can see how my championing of this film might make me look like a QT fan boy. The funny thing is I am far from it. I love Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. I think the Bill movies are ok, but not great, and I didnt like Deathproof (except the end) or Jackie Brown. I HATE nearly all his collaborative stuff (zombie crap etc).

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »
I am hardly alone in thinking QT writes some of the best dialogue in film. As for your other points, fair enough, we see the film differently. I agree I am obviously the biggest champion of the film however the vast majority of people loved the movie, both on the board and in general. Those who dislike it are in the minority, which is fine, but because I have been very vocal in my support some people are making it sound like I am crazy for my love of the film.

I didn't say I dislike his dialogue, I just thought it was funny that this morning I listened to QT describe his words as poetry, and then read your post only a little bit later.

Also, I never said I disliked the film, just that I was surprised at my lack of a positive or negative reaction to it.  While I'm not in any rush to revisit it, I suspect I'll like it a little more the second time (or maybe I'll hate it, who knows).

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
I am hardly alone in thinking QT writes some of the best dialogue in film. As for your other points, fair enough, we see the film differently. I agree I am obviously the biggest champion of the film however the vast majority of people loved the movie, both on the board and in general. Those who dislike it are in the minority, which is fine, but because I have been very vocal in my support some people are making it sound like I am crazy for my love of the film.

I didn't say I dislike his dialogue, I just thought it was funny that this morning I listened to QT describe his words as poetry, and then read your post only a little bit later.

Also, I never said I disliked the film, just that I was surprised at my lack of a positive or negative reaction to it.  While I'm not in any rush to revisit it, I suspect I'll like it a little more the second time (or maybe I'll hate it, who knows).

I didnt mean to suggest you disliked it, you gave it 7/10 after all. I was more responding to sam's dislike.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »
Where is your new avatar from clov?

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
Where is your new avatar from clov?

It's a small foreign film I don't like to talk about very much because it's too personal.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
;D Good answer.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »
I think his references in other films aren't as blatant, but here, he wears them all on his jacked which says: "I am the coolest and most knowledgeable movie geek ever," which automatically makes you a douche.

I don't know, Kill Bill and Death Proof are pretty explicitly blatant in their references.
You are probably right. The difference is that I probably haven't see the films those reference. To be honest I can take or leave those two films. (I assume you are referring to Kill Bill vol. 1)

I had about the same reaction as jbizz. I came out of the theater lukewarm. It's just with all this unending wave of IB love I'm getting painted as person who hates this film just because I'm probably the person who dislikes it the most around here (besides Bill, but aparently everyone expected that).

I don't think it's a bad film, and I certainly didn't go into wanting to hate it. In fact, this was the only film I looked forward to all summer. So when I ended up coming out of it underwhelmed It was after wanting this film to rock. I image I'll rewatch it at some point and maybe I'll like it more then, I certainly will never love this film. It just have too many problems and annoyances with this film.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
The guy that gets beaten with a bat by Eli Roth recognizes him too. I think he even says something like "everybody in the SS knows him".
His line is everybody has "heard" of Hugo Stiglitz, and there's the answer... they've heard of him, they wouldn't all recognize him. Landa obviously would since he probably interrogated him at some point.

Or basically what Clovis said...
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2009, 05:54:30 PM »
The guy that gets beaten with a bat by Eli Roth recognizes him too. I think he even says something like "everybody in the SS knows him".
His line is everybody has "heard" of Hugo Stiglitz, and there's the answer... they've heard of him, they wouldn't all recognize him. Landa obviously would since he probably interrogated him at some point.

Or basically what Clovis said...

Can't wait to hear what you and Matty have to say about it.