Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102030 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #350 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »
The difference between someone like Herzog and Tarantino is that Herzog himself is a fascinating chracter. In something like grizzly Man, Herzog keeps objectivity as a director, but as a narrator and a character, he becomes one of the many people who comment on Treadwell as a person.

Tarantino, on the other hand, is a much more interesting filmmaker then character. I like the world of film he conveys, and the way he portrays events, what he puts on screen and how, etc. This is what interests me personally, and what gets us having such an interesting discussion. But I don't listen to much of the interviews Tarantino has because his chracter doesn't interest me as much. He's not as compelling a person as say someone like Herzog.

I agree QT is a boring character (although I love hearing his talk about films). I have made this point before but whenever he steps on screen his films fall from genius to terrible with an atomic thud!

Harris Telemacher

« Reply #351 on: November 17, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »
Figured there might be some interest in these fake "Jack Kirby" comic book covers for Inglourious Basterds: they're some really great stuff:

http://forum.superpouvoir.com/showthread.php?p=313021#post313021

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #352 on: November 17, 2009, 04:28:13 PM »
Figured there might be some interest in these fake "Jack Kirby" comic book covers for Inglourious Basterds: they're some really great stuff:

http://forum.superpouvoir.com/showthread.php?p=313021#post313021

Those are SOOOOOOO awesome.  Thanks Harris!!!

This one is my favorite:
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »
He's not as compelling a person as say someone like Herzog.

Who is?
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2009, 01:10:31 PM »

Who is?

Tarantino.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »

Who is?

Tarantino.
I don't think any director is as compelling as Herzog.

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #356 on: November 26, 2009, 01:14:58 AM »
The difference between someone like Herzog and Tarantino is that Herzog himself is a fascinating chracter. In something like grizzly Man, Herzog keeps objectivity as a director, but as a narrator and a character, he becomes one of the many people who comment on Treadwell as a person.

Tarantino, on the other hand, is a much more interesting filmmaker then character. I like the world of film he conveys, and the way he portrays events, what he puts on screen and how, etc. This is what interests me personally, and what gets us having such an interesting discussion. But I don't listen to much of the interviews Tarantino has because his chracter doesn't interest me as much. He's not as compelling a person as say someone like Herzog.

I agree QT is a boring character (although I love hearing his talk about films). I have made this point before but whenever he steps on screen his films fall from genius to terrible with an atomic thud!

I like Jimmy in Pulp.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #357 on: November 26, 2009, 03:14:45 AM »
Hey, nice marmot!

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #358 on: November 26, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »

I like Jimmy in Pulp.

Sorry Clovis, but you misinterpreted my comment completely. When I said I didn't like Tarantino character, I didn't mean when he acted in his films. I mean the persona he has.  Tarantino's persona is one who enjoys putting violence up close and personal, who adores film, who like smart dialouge. And I think all those things help his film, but I can see people not enjoying his persona and so not enjoying some of his earlier films, especially Kill Bill vol. 1(noting I havent seen vol 2 and death proof). However, something like Reservoir Dogs has less of his chracter and IB has the least so far. It's still there, and I'm glad it is, but it doesn't take over the film.

And I really like Kill bill vol. 1, but I think it gets hindered by Tarantino's chracter being too imposed, although thats not too much of a criticism. And Pulp Fiction doesnt have it as much in full force, but its there and not in a hindering way. My problems with PF are completely different to that (although its a film I still really like.)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2009, 10:27:18 AM »
I really don't want to open up this can of worms again--although it is fun--but I found a fascinating NPR interview.

And yes, it's going to be a source in my paper.