love

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102009 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #370 on: December 17, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
I picked up the DVD today.  I'm a little disappointed.  I appreciate the "round table discussion" with Tarantino and Pitt, but I think an audio commentary would have been better.

I feel the same way re: wanting a commentary. Definitely would have been a bonus.  Tarantino won't do commentaries for his own films.  I don't know why not.  However,  he will do them for other film makers/friends' films (i.e. Hot Fuzz).   He did do one for True Romance though (not his since Tony Scott directed).  His commentaries are a treat.  They come off as  mini-film classes.  His breadth of film knowledge is awesome.

I'm really torn about director's doing their own commentaries.  I rarely listen to them myself and I kinda honor The Coen's, Tarantino and Kaufman for refusing to do them for their own movies - but the few times I do listen to them (most recently Shanley's for Doubt) I am rewarded.  I actually LOVE third party commentaries.  Maybe these three should do a swap.  Can you imagine a Tarantino commentary for Fargo, or the Coen's doing one for Synecdoche, NY, and Kaufman doing one for Kill Bill vol2!  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:40:58 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #371 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
I picked up the DVD today.  I'm a little disappointed.  I appreciate the "round table discussion" with Tarantino and Pitt, but I think an audio commentary would have been better.

I feel the same way re: wanting a commentary. Definitely would have been a bonus.  Tarantino won't do commentaries for his own films.  I don't know why not.  However,  he will do them for other film makers/friends' films (i.e. Hot Fuzz).   He did do one for True Romance though (not his since Tony Scott directed).  His commentaries are a treat.  They come off as  mini-film classes.  His breadth of film knowledge is awesome.

I'm really torn about director's doing their own commentaries.  I rarely listen to them myself and I kinda honor The Coen's, Tarantino and Kaufman for refusing to do them for their own movies - but the few times I do listen to them (most recently Shanley's for Doubt) I am rewarded.  I actually LOVE third party commentaries.  Maybe these three should do a swap.  Can you imagine a Tarantino commentary for Fargo, or the Coen's doing one for Synecdoche, NY, and Kaufman doing one for Kill Bill vol2!  :)

That would rule!!   :D

I'm still waiting rather anxiously for Adam & Matty's film commentaries.  I might send them a donation specifically earmarked for this!  The "Make OmNom's Dream Come True" fund. 
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #372 on: December 19, 2009, 03:35:33 AM »
see, I find it easy to believe that the Coen's might not make a great commentary. Tarantino I have evidence that he can do good ones either with someone (dusk til dawn, hot fuzz) or alone (true romance). but not everyone can do that and knowing what to talk about is difficult.

now that I say that, though, I don't know how great tarantino would be alone on one of his more recent movies. so much of the true romance commentary is him talking about writing it and getting into the business which is fascinating but doesn't relate directly to the film. when you have a great director, alone, talking about their own film... they can talk about stuff on set but that wouldn't quite be satisfying... but then what would be? to have them explain the purpose to each line/shot would get old fast and ruin the relationship you as a viewer develop towards the film. I'd definitely specifically want to have tarantino +... either someone he worked with or a friend of his (like hot fuzz and dusk til dawn are). then again Fincher on Zodiac was good...

ahh. rather than ramble further I'll say: sometimes it's nice to not be able to get exactly what you think you want. and yes I'm saying this to myself as much as anyone else.

but I have to comment on Shandley... listening to him on the screenwriter interview podcast (name escapes me but they mention it on filmspotting plenty) I knew he could carry a commentary because he speaks so personally about his films. It was really refreshing to hear in the interviews and I still need to pick up a DVD of his to hear em. doubt is as good a candidate as any, I enjoyed that a fair bit. not sure what other movies of his have one.

... whew.

bb6634

« Reply #373 on: December 19, 2009, 04:47:16 AM »
but I have to comment on Shandley... listening to him on the screenwriter interview podcast (name escapes me but they mention it on filmspotting plenty) I knew he could carry a commentary because he speaks so personally about his films. It was really refreshing to hear in the interviews and I still need to pick up a DVD of his to hear em. doubt is as good a candidate as any, I enjoyed that a fair bit. not sure what other movies of his have one.
... whew.

Shanely has a commentary of the Deluxe version of Moonstruck.  

He does give really good commentary, and the Coens'...  if you have ever heard them talk about their films they can be very....  "cagey" for lack of a better word.  They seem to often mock the very idea of explaining their films.  Jeff Goldsmith's podcast interview with them for No Country for Old Men is a good example. "Obtuse" doesn't begin to describe their answers to his questions.   Which I kind of understand.  So many of their films are interpretive and it's up to the viewer to take from them what they want.   I think them explaining their films diminishes the potential for the viewer to project their own interpretations.   With a film like A Serious Man, this is especially true.   I suspect Tarantino probably feels the same way.  

I love Stevn Soderberg's commentaries.  He will give commentaries for his idols and friends' films (i.e. Mike Nichols' The Graduate, Virginia Wolf, and Catch 22).  He has also given commentaries for sex, lies and videotape (with Neil LeBute) and The Limey (with screenwriter Lem Dobbs).  I think his commentary for The Limey is up there as one of the best, simply because it is one of the few I have listened to where the director and screenwriter clearly had different interpretations of the material and decided to hash it out during the commentary.  They don't argue exactly... but Dobbs 'Limey' is not the film that Soderberg made, and I think you can hear that in Dobbs' commentary.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:49:36 AM by bb6634 »

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #374 on: December 19, 2009, 04:48:49 AM »
I'd definitely specifically want to have tarantino +... either someone he worked with or a friend of his (like hot fuzz and dusk til dawn are). then again Fincher on Zodiac was good...

I'd love to see a Tarantino-Eli Roth commentary. Regardless of your opinion of him as an actor/director, the guy is just downright fascinating to listen to when talking about film.

Also, regarding The Limey, the AV Club actually made the DVD commentary track a member of their New Cult Canon a while back (as far as I know it's the only commentary they've done, usually it's only films). It's a fascinating read.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-new-cult-canon-the-limey-filmmaker-commentary,23702/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:54:01 AM by gateway »
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Hal Warren

« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »

Yeah, I loved his commentary with Robert Rodriguez on From Dusk Till Dawn. I really wish he'd do more, I love hearing him talk abuot film.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #376 on: December 20, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »

Funny you should mention this.  i was just talking to my wife about this interview (This was The Creative Screenwriter magazine, with they guy that thinks we listen for him and not the interview subjects)

I love his line "I wouldn't want to rob you of your opinioni"

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Variable

• Stroke Me Lady Fame
« Reply #377 on: December 20, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »

Funny you should mention this.  i was just talking to my wife about this interview (This was The Creative Screenwriter magazine, with they guy that thinks we listen for him and not the interview subjects)

yeah he's so damn good. there's a later ep of the creative screenwriting podcast where it's a roundtable of everyone nominated for an academy award that year in writing, and he's excellent. it's a mixed bag because some of them are great and some not so good, but he jumps between all of them. thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't listened.

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #378 on: December 21, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
Okay... finally saw this.... let's just say, had a hard time staying awake....

I enjoyed the first two chapters ALOT... the table discussion in the beginning was classic tension building cinema at it's finest... then the introductions to the Basterds was kick-ass.......... BUT, then we go into this world of the Jewish girl wanting to burn down the cinema, the Nazi war hero... YAWN.... The bar scene was okay, and held my interest... but the movie as a whole was brought down by an awful last two chapters....

plus, the Basterds and the Allies seems a bit "dumb" at the end.... why was the Jewish film owner better equiped and prepared to take down the Nazis then the Basterds.... suicide bombing?  Really?...... like they couldn't have left the explosives under their seat and then locked the doors...

5.5/10

I know theres alot of love for QT on these boards... but, he is batting .500 right now..

The Good
Res Dogs
Pulp Fictuon
Kill Bill

The Bad
Jackie Brown
Death Proof
Inglorious Basterds
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:53:53 AM by jokernick »
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #379 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »

yeah he's so damn good. there's a later ep of the creative screenwriting podcast where it's a roundtable of everyone nominated for an academy award that year in writing, and he's excellent. it's a mixed bag because some of them are great and some not so good, but he jumps between all of them. thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't listened.

Awesome - yeah that was a great roundtable.  I thought he and Andrew Stanton (Wall-E) really stood out in that interview.  I loved Courtney Hunt (Frozen River) in that too.  Eric Roth (Ben Button) was terrible.

Sorry - got way off subject here.  People should listen to this podcast though. 
(switchboard)