love

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102022 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #420 on: December 26, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
You've seen people clap after a roller coaster ride?

Clap, cheer, hoot & holler, in fact.

Yep me too - especially at Cedar Point in Ohio.

No doubt here.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ricoshea

« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2009, 12:16:41 AM »
Why hasn't anyone noticed the window Shosana stands at near the end is the Death Star weapon circle?  It's totally an homage to Star Wars movies where the Empire were modeled on the Nazi's.... good vs. evil.... destruction of the Death Star equals the burning of the cinema.... complete with Nazi banners.  Anyone else see this?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #422 on: December 31, 2009, 12:25:55 AM »
Why hasn't anyone noticed the window Shosana stands at near the end is the Death Star weapon circle?  It's totally an homage to Star Wars movies where the Empire were modeled on the Nazi's.... good vs. evil.... destruction of the Death Star equals the burning of the cinema.... complete with Nazi banners.  Anyone else see this?

Nope. I just thought it was cool CINECAST!ing set design. Not sure you're right, but it's a damn cool thought.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #423 on: December 31, 2009, 11:20:08 PM »
Just watched this again and if I go by EST - this is my first film of 2010 (3rd time seeing it). The maniacal glee of Hans Landa is impossible to not like. If he doesn't get an Oscar nod I will be surprised.

The scene where Shoshanna encounters Landa in the restaurant with the strudel is impressive - her reactions are great and she says so much w/o very much dialogue.

Still awesome and still POSSIBLY (maybe) Tarantino's masterpiece (I am still partial to Pulp Fiction)...

*****/5
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:22:48 PM by St. Martin the Bald »
Hey, nice marmot!

libra_1989

« Reply #424 on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:30 AM »
Okay, I'm new to this board and a major Tarantino-fan to boot. I just saw IB last week and I have a few questions regarding certain scenes that I'm little confused about:

1) Did anybody else notice Landa staring at the farmer's younger daughter after complimenting all three of them? Am I the only one who noticed that small little detail? There was something very strange about Landa intensely staring at her like that...I didn't really understand what Tarantino was trying to convey to the audience with that little staring contest going on between the younger daughter and Landa. What was the need for that small little detail in the script? Was there some kind of a sexual motive behind landa's stare?

2) Landa states to Bridgette Von hammersmark (just before he asks her to put her feet on his lap) that "Emmanuelle Mimieux" handed over her office to him. Now this statement indicates that Shosanna met and spoke to Landa one more time after the strudel-eating scene. It indicates that the strudel-eating scene wasn't the only time that Landa got the chance to speak to Shossana. Now I'm just left wondering why was this scene deleted from the script? I certainly would have enjoyed watching another confrontation between Landa and Shossana!

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #425 on: January 01, 2010, 09:20:42 AM »
Okay, I'm new to this board and a major Tarantino-fan to boot. I just saw IB last week and I have a few questions regarding certain scenes that I'm little confused about:

1) Did anybody else notice Landa staring at the farmer's younger daughter after complimenting all three of them? Am I the only one who noticed that small little detail? There was something very strange about Landa intensely staring at her like that...I didn't really understand what Tarantino was trying to convey to the audience with that little staring contest going on between the younger daughter and Landa. What was the need for that small little detail in the script? Was there some kind of a sexual motive behind landa's stare?

yeah i noticed. She was the only daughter he kissed on the hand, too, and once he sat down he cotinued to stare at her. I put it down to the fact that he probably just wanted to dump his muck up it. I actually thought that this may have possibly an improv by the actor?

2) Landa states to Bridgette Von hammersmark (just before he asks her to put her feet on his lap) that "Emmanuelle Mimieux" handed over her office to him. Now this statement indicates that Shosanna met and spoke to Landa one more time after the strudel-eating scene. It indicates that the strudel-eating scene wasn't the only time that Landa got the chance to speak to Shossana. Now I'm just left wondering why was this scene deleted from the script? I certainly would have enjoyed watching another confrontation between Landa and Shossana!

Im not sure what could have been got out of another showdown scene between them. Considering where the film went after the strudle scene im cant see that it would have aided the flow of the film at all as, for me, IB could have done with being at least 30 minutes shorter rather than having extra scenes thrown in....
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #426 on: January 01, 2010, 12:15:23 PM »

yeah i noticed. She was the only daughter he kissed on the hand, too, and once he sat down he cotinued to stare at her. I put it down to the fact that he probably just wanted to dump his muck up it. I actually thought that this may have possibly an improv by the actor?

If you don't want your bubble burst slightly don't read on.

In the script (that's widely available for purchase) there were supposed to be three girls and a wife. It seems like for whatever reason they didn't get a woman to play the wife, and so they transferred everything involving her to one of the daughter. The dialogue is almost exactly the same too. It's a little bizzare. I actually find it adds to the scene, because it feels off-kilter and raises the tension of the situation some.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #427 on: January 01, 2010, 12:26:41 PM »

If you don't want your bubble burst slightly don't read on.

In the script (that's widely available for purchase) there were supposed to be three girls and a wife. It seems like for whatever reason they didn't get a woman to play the wife, and so they transferred everything involving her to one of the daughter. The dialogue is almost exactly the same too. It's a little bizzare. I actually find it adds to the scene, because it feels off-kilter and raises the tension of the situation some.

Definitely. It gives Landa a real creepiness. Combined with how superficially charming he is it establishes the character. Charming scumbag.
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

bb6634

« Reply #428 on: January 01, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

I chalked it up to showing that if Landa wanted to take the girl with him, he could have.  He had that power.  And if the father saw it, all the better since the girl's father knew he could take her and there would be nothing he could do.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #429 on: January 01, 2010, 08:10:20 PM »

I chalked it up to showing that if Landa wanted to take the girl with him, he could have.  He had that power.  And if the father saw it, all the better since the girl's father knew he could take her and there would be nothing he could do.

This is what I thought too. It's just the same as the milk-drinking or the bigger pipe or whatever in the back and forth that demonstrates that Landa is in control at all times. Plus it is creepy.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx