love

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102125 times)

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
RE: OAD

Landa didn't want to be put in front of a jury and was getting out early.
We know Germany would lose and that there would be a war crimes tribunal. Landa didn't. We don't get any indication in the film that Germany is losing or that Landa thinks they are and he's worried about his future. Tell me specifically what details in the film back up your statement about Landa.

I can give you one very clear one: in the scene where Hitler decides to attend the premiere of Nation's Pride, he says that the Allies have just recently landed at Normandy. At that point, things weren't looking particularly good for Germany, and any smart German officer who wasn't blindly loyal to Hitler could see that.

As for your questioning of Landa's betrayal, that's even simpler to pinpoint. Think back to the (excellent) first scene where Landa compares Jews to rats, saying that Jews are capable of doing anything to survive and he can think in exactly the way they do. Landa's betrayal is him behaving in exactly the way he described - he's doing what he can to ensure his own survival.

And for one last comment regarding Landa taking offense to Von Hammersmark insulting his intelligence, I think the best piece of evidence is in the "speaking Italian scene." He keeps forcing Raine to repeat his name in his thick Tennessee accent, and makes Donnowitz do the same thing when he fails to mask his Boston accent at first, embarassing and unnerving both of them as punishment for creating such a pitiful facade. But when Pvt. Ulmer pronounces "Dominic Dicoco" in a passable Italian accent, he gives him a nod of approval. When it comes to Von Hammersmark, the stakes get raised quite a bit. First of all, Landa and Von Hammersmark have a history together, so he knows that she should know full well that she won't get anything past him, especially such a ridiculous story as mountain climbing. Add that to the fact that she herself is a renowned actress and should be better than that, and it becomes an even greater offense to Landa.

Landa defines himself by his intellect, as shown by air of superiority he carries around and his constant need to play mind games with people, such as the the previously mentioned "speaking Italian" scene or his stunt with his pipe at the farmer's. He also demands that he be respected, which you see when he is the only German officer who treats Zoller like the private that he is. Ergo, if you don't respect his intellect, you are directly insulting Landa - and as a punishment, all is fair in love and war I guess.

(And as a more roundabout explanation, the film is about propaganda, which is only as effective as it is convincing. Hence why the characters who fail to be convincing, Hilcox and Von Hammersmark, are punished.)
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #451 on: January 03, 2010, 08:23:04 PM »
(By the way, as a film buff, wouldn't she have known the villain is never really dead? You've got to make sure about those guys, you know; you riddle them with bullets, but they still rise to shoot you when you're least expecting it!)

She's a film buff in the 40s.  Not sure this convention was yet in place.  :)

But, yeah, it's a silly movie.

pixoxote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #452 on: January 03, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
RE: OAD

Landa didn't want to be put in front of a jury and was getting out early.
We know Germany would lose and that there would be a war crimes tribunal. Landa didn't. We don't get any indication in the film that Germany is losing or that Landa thinks they are and he's worried about his future. Tell me specifically what details in the film back up your statement about Landa.

I can give you one very clear one: in the scene where Hitler decides to attend the premiere of Nation's Pride, he says that the Allies have just recently landed at Normandy. At that point, things weren't looking particularly good for Germany, and any smart German officer who wasn't blindly loyal to Hitler could see that.

As for your questioning of Landa's betrayal, that's even simpler to pinpoint. Think back to the (excellent) first scene where Landa compares Jews to rats, saying that Jews are capable of doing anything to survive and he can think in exactly the way they do. Landa's betrayal is him behaving in exactly the way he described - he's doing what he can to ensure his own survival.

And for one last comment regarding Landa taking offense to Von Hammersmark insulting his intelligence, I think the best piece of evidence is in the "speaking Italian scene." He keeps forcing Raine to repeat his name in his thick Tennessee accent, and makes Donnowitz do the same thing when he fails to mask his Boston accent at first, embarassing and unnerving both of them as punishment for creating such a pitiful facade. But when Pvt. Ulmer pronounces "Dominic Dicoco" in a passable Italian accent, he gives him a nod of approval. When it comes to Von Hammersmark, the stakes get raised quite a bit. First of all, Landa and Von Hammersmark have a history together, so he knows that she should know full well that she won't get anything past him, especially such a ridiculous story as mountain climbing. Add that to the fact that she herself is a renowned actress and should be better than that, and it becomes an even greater offense to Landa.

Landa defines himself by his intellect, as shown by air of superiority he carries around and his constant need to play mind games with people, such as the the previously mentioned "speaking Italian" scene or his stunt with his pipe at the farmer's. He also demands that he be respected, which you see when he is the only German officer who treats Zoller like the private that he is. Ergo, if you don't respect his intellect, you are directly insulting Landa - and as a punishment, all is fair in love and war I guess.

(And as a more roundabout explanation, the film is about propaganda, which is only as effective as it is convincing. Hence why the characters who fail to be convincing, Hilcox and Von Hammersmark, are punished.)
Your first paragraph above is the best, most compelling reason I've seen yet for why Landa might be trying to get out. Yet it still seems skimpy to me. It's still not obvious to me that Landa knows Germany's defeat is at hand.

Your second paragraph: It's not Landa's ability or hesitation to be a traitor - to be a rat - if necessary that I question. It's the proper motivation to go ahead and do it. Even with your first paragraph, I'm still not convinced he thinks he needs to turn traitor to survive.

I didn't see him as being offended in the speaking Italian scene at all. He completely had the upper hand there. He knew they were bogus, and von Hammersmark knew he knew it. He was taunting them - I don't see how a taunt means he was offended.

(By the way, as a film buff, wouldn't she have known the villain is never really dead? You've got to make sure about those guys, you know; you riddle them with bullets, but they still rise to shoot you when you're least expecting it!)

She's a film buff in the 40s.  Not sure this convention was yet in place.  :)

But, yeah, it's a silly movie.

pixoxote
You're probably right. :)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #453 on: January 03, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »
I should see this movie.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2010, 12:11:30 AM »
I should see this movie.
If you haven't seen it, you shouldn't be in this thread.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »
I should see this movie.
Spoilers aren't that big of a deal to me. Besides, I was only skimming, Mr. Bossypants  :).

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
I should see this movie.
Spoilers aren't that big of a deal to me. Besides, I was only skimming, Mr. Bossypants  :).

KING OF THE WORLD

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #457 on: January 04, 2010, 12:38:19 AM »
 :D

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #458 on: January 04, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
I should see this movie.
Spoilers aren't that big of a deal to me. Besides, I was only skimming, Mr. Bossypants  :).

KING OF THE WORLD

When are we getting Alien 5?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #459 on: January 04, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
After I invent the technology that can bring my vision to life.

love