Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 102089 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2010, 11:53:42 AM »
Adam started a whole discussion related to what you are bringing up. His theory is that Landa is gay.

This did pop up in my head lately - I can work that into my interpretation but we are not given any clear signals about Landa's sexuality - in fact - Von Hammersmark talks of his "former conquests" and obviously (to me) they are women.
I think we need to file this next to the glowing briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

Well, he would obviously not be open about it (and possibly overcompensate by bragging about his manly conquests). That doesn't negate the possibility in my mind.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2010, 12:52:36 PM »
Landa being gay removes the enigma from Landa.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »

Only if it's conclusive, which it isn't.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »

Only if it's conclusive, which it isn't.

Even the idea seems to be. The idea of him being Gay, not that it's bad, but it brings up the idea that Landa is the kind of man who forms human connections, whether it's with a man or a woman. That is not Landa. He seems disposed of any sexual feelings at all.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
How do you account for the remark about Landa's former conquests that Marty mentioned above, then?

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
How do you account for the remark about Landa's former conquests that Marty mentioned above, then?

I can't remember that line and am trying to place it in my memory of the film, then I could be able to argue.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »

I can't remember that line and am trying to place it in my memory of the film, then I could be able to argue.

Von Hammerschmark makes a comment to Landa about his "former conqests" in the lobby before the premiere. He didn't confirm or deny the allegation, but it seemed clear that Landa did have some reputation in this regard.

I'm of the opinion that Tarantino instructed purposely wrote the Strudel scene as ambiguously as Shanley wrote Doubt.  Shanley said that he himself did not know the answer - and purposely left himself in Doubt.  I'd love to think Tarantino had the same attitude about Landa and Shoshana
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
Oh yah, I just read a version fo the script and found the line.

hmm...Is it toying with people? I'm not sure. The idea of Landa's conquests being women seems strange to me buy the way he's played, as a capitalist, as a man very much not worried about bedding women, even for selfish purposes.

Just my view.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #478 on: January 06, 2010, 03:21:45 PM »
Oh yah, I just read a version fo the script and found the line.

hmm...Is it toying with people? I'm not sure. The idea of Landa's conquests being women seems strange to me buy the way he's played, as a capitalist, as a man very much not worried about bedding women, even for selfish purposes.

Just my view.

I think selfish is him.  That's the key word.  He wants a bunch of nice stuff: house on Nantucket, etc.  He enjoys a smoke, dessert, a hard drink.   This isn't capitalist, it's "comfortablist". -  I'm thinking a warm body or two on the side wouldn't hurt either.  Just my take.  I love that the character is rich enough that a debate like this is worth having!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #479 on: January 06, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »

I took the remark to be sarcastic and/or suggestive that Landa's conquests might not be women.  He can be gay and not form human connections just easily as he could be straight and not connect with people.  I don't think his sexual preference really changes his character at all.

love