Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds  (Read 101869 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Inglourious Basterds
« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
Eli Roth is of course awful

After seeing IB about a half-dozen times in the past week, Roth's acting is beginning to grow on me. I still have some issues with his later scenes (VON HAHMMAHS-MAHK), but his role as a whole works more with each viewing. In particular, I really like what he did with the introduction of The Bear Jew persona.

In never stuck out for me at all until the watching it in DVD after hearing months of people complain about it.  I have to embarressingly admit I had no idea who the guy was.  Every time I heard Eli Roth I was thinking of the guy from Godfather Part II.

And...Much can be said about the "arriva derchee" scene.  If the lovers and haters aren't split at this point this scene will force you to take sides.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Fugee

• Elite Member
« Reply #491 on: January 07, 2010, 04:03:34 PM »
Something mildly interesting I remember: we all know Tarantino has a foot fetish. Twice Landa asks something like "what is it they say about shoes/feet?"

1. Looks like the shoe's on the other foot.
2. If the shoe fits you must wear it.
Thank goodness the shots of feet in this weren't as blatant as the toe-sucking scene in From Dusk Till Dawn. Ew.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #492 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:45 AM »
I remember Matty and Adam ridiculing Roth's performance. Unfortunately, I never can seem to tell what exactly makes a "bad" actor - unless it's really obvious.

I thought Roth's sinister grin as Raine described the mission was fitting. I also thought the bat beating scene was decent as well.

Maybe I'm just blind, though. I not only need to learn more about what makes a good shot, but what makes a good actor as well.

I don't really think you have to worry about being acting-blind at all. The quality of someone's acting is probably one of the most subjective parts of a film, what works for some people may turn other people off. I think Adam and Matty discussed this when they did their Top 5 Off-putting Actors.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #493 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
How do you account for the remark about Landa's former conquests that Marty mentioned above, then?

I took the remark to be sarcastic and/or suggestive that Landa's conquests might not be women.  He can be gay and not form human connections just easily as he could be straight and not connect with people.  I don't think his sexual preference really changes his character at all.

I think it would - considering the history of gays and the nazis. If he were gay - maybe his betrayal of the 3rd Reich is retribution (in his mind) avenging the death of a lost lover, his sadistic glee in hunting jews is the survival instinct at it's strongest (abandonment of dignity) and letting Shoshanna live is a momentary lapse of humanity.
Perhaps he was once very much in love and connected to his partner - it was his traumatic past that caused his break with humanity.

This is the beauty of this character, that nearly all options are on the table and possible. Great discussion.

Very true.  I think there are hundreds of possible explanations for why Landa does what he does.

libra_1989

« Reply #494 on: January 09, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Okay, I'm new to this board and a major Tarantino-fan to boot. I just saw IB last week and I have a few questions regarding certain scenes that I'm little confused about:

1) Did anybody else notice Landa staring at the farmer's younger daughter after complimenting all three of them? Am I the only one who noticed that small little detail? There was something very strange about Landa intensely staring at her like that...I didn't really understand what Tarantino was trying to convey to the audience with that little staring contest going on between the younger daughter and Landa. What was the need for that small little detail in the script? Was there some kind of a sexual motive behind landa's stare?

I chalked it up to showing that if Landa wanted to take the girl with him, he could have.  He had that power.  And if the father saw it, all the better since the girl's father knew he could take her and there would be nothing he could do.

This is what I thought too. It's just the same as the milk-drinking or the bigger pipe or whatever in the back and forth that demonstrates that Landa is in control at all times. Plus it is creepy.

I was just re-reading the older posts and started doing a little googling on sexual abuse and rape during world war 2. I came across this website http://www.vho.org/aaargh/fran/actu/actu00/doc2000/womensex.html which contained a lot of information and interviews, taken of some of the female survivors.

I found out that it was in fact very common for SS officers to rape/sexually abuse Jewish women. So since it is a historical fact, I would not be surprised if Landa actually didn't live up to his promise of letting go of La padite's family. For all we know (as I have mentioned before on this thread that we never got to see what happened to La Padite and his daughters) Landa might have instead shot La Padite and his eldest daughters and he and the other three SS officers with him gang-raped and murdered the youngest daughter.

Another thing I've been thinking about lately is what do you think Landa was up to in the four days that passed after the theater got blown up and before he arrived at the forest near the American lines? What do you think transpired in those four days? Landa obviously spent those four days with Raine and Utivich tied up. The audience never got to see this interaction, which means it is a "missing moment". I for one would have loved to see the conversations and chatting going on between Raine and Landa in those four days that passed!

Not only that but I would have loved to see the look on Landa's face if he had ever come to know about Shossana's plan! Do you think there were any survivors from that explosion? If there were what would have happened if the Basterds questioned or interrogated the survivors and came to know about Shossana's plan? What would have happened if Landa came to know from some of the survivors (or the Basterds reveal this information to him at some point) that the theater owner's real name is Shossana Dreyfus (which Shossana anyway reveals to the audience as the smoky figure of her face was burning on the screen before the bombs were set off. So if there were any survivors from that explosion, the survivors will most probably remember her name) and not only that but of Shossana's successful plan of burning the theater? I'm sure Shossana's plan must have spread through word-of-mouth (few weeks after the explosion) from some of the survivors from the explosion as the American soldiers investigate the explosion and interrogate the survivors.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:28:44 AM by libra_1989 »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »
Okay, I'm new to this board and a major Tarantino-fan to boot. I just saw IB last week and I have a few questions regarding certain scenes that I'm little confused about:

1) Did anybody else notice Landa staring at the farmer's younger daughter after complimenting all three of them? Am I the only one who noticed that small little detail? There was something very strange about Landa intensely staring at her like that...I didn't really understand what Tarantino was trying to convey to the audience with that little staring contest going on between the younger daughter and Landa. What was the need for that small little detail in the script? Was there some kind of a sexual motive behind landa's stare?

I chalked it up to showing that if Landa wanted to take the girl with him, he could have.  He had that power.  And if the father saw it, all the better since the girl's father knew he could take her and there would be nothing he could do.

This is what I thought too. It's just the same as the milk-drinking or the bigger pipe or whatever in the back and forth that demonstrates that Landa is in control at all times. Plus it is creepy.

I was just re-reading the older posts and started doing a little googling on sexual abuse and rape during world war 2. I came across this website http://www.vho.org/aaargh/fran/actu/actu00/doc2000/womensex.html which contained a lot of information and interviews, taken of some of the female survivors.

I found out that it was in fact very common for SS officers to rape/sexually abuse Jewish women. So since it is a historical fact, I would not be surprised if Landa actually didn't live up to his promise of letting go of La padite's family. For all we know (as I have mentioned before on this thread that we never got to see what happened to La Padite and his daughters) Landa might have instead shot La Padite and his eldest daughters and he and the other three SS officers with him gang-raped and murdered the youngest daughter.

Another thing I've been thinking about lately is what do you think Landa was up to in the four days that passed after the theater got blown up and before he arrived at the forest near the American lines? What do you think transpired in those four days? Landa obviously spent those four days with Raine and Utivich tied up. The audience never got to see this interaction, which means it is a "missing moment". I for one would have loved to see the conversations and chatting going on between Raine and Landa in those four days that passed!

Not only that but I would have loved to see the look on Landa's face if he had ever come to know about Shossana's plan! Do you think there were any survivors from that explosion? If there were what would have happened if the Basterds questioned or interrogated the survivors and came to know about Shossana's plan? What would have happened if Landa came to know from some of the survivors (or the Basterds reveal this information to him at some point) that the theater owner's real name is Shossana Dreyfus (which Shossana anyway reveals to the audience as the smoky figure of her face was burning on the screen before the bombs were set off. So if there were any survivors from that explosion, the survivors will most probably remember her name) and not only that but of Shossana's successful plan of burning the theater? I'm sure Shossana's plan must have spread through word-of-mouth (few weeks after the explosion) from some of the survivors from the explosion as the American soldiers investigate the explosion and interrogate the survivors.

very good points, one and all.

I always wonder about that final scene on the lines.  There was no checkpoint or guards - which struck me as strange.  I can see non-lovers of the film using this to rip on it.  On the other hand if some time had passed, then soilders would have abandoned their checkposts.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #496 on: January 11, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
Wow. 34 pages of mental masturbation. i like it.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #497 on: January 11, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »

Combine those from all the rest of the films from this poll and it won't even be half posts.  Makes me wonder if IB is a bit underrespresented in that poll
(switchboard)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #498 on: January 11, 2010, 03:34:35 PM »

Everyone knows that wanking is fun. :)
Hey, nice marmot!

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #499 on: January 11, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
34 Pages of pure shit....

this movie sucked
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

love