Author Topic: What is the best thing you did yesterday?  (Read 145885 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: What is the best thing you did yesterday?
« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
Built the entity relationship diagram for my film rankings database in SQL 2008.  This is going to be fun building the front-end for this! :)

Sounds neat! Do you have a way around entering movie info manually? I'm still mad that IMDB doesn't have any sort of API for their database.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
Built the entity relationship diagram for my film rankings database in SQL 2008.  This is going to be fun building the front-end for this! :)

Sounds neat! Do you have a way around entering movie info manually? I'm still mad that IMDB doesn't have any sort of API for their database.

Yeah it's going to be basically all manual.  I'm not trying to make an exhaustive list like IMDB or Flickchart is doing.  Just a way to catalog all the films I've got in my various spreadsheets now and it will grow with every movie I see.  I want to make ranking easier and do some photo/screenshot tagging (like you would in facebook) so you can enter an actor's name and get all the graphics you have on file with that actor in it.  It'll also help me track movies I've seen and movies by year and track my home library better. 

It's mostly an excersize in getting better at web development.  I've been mainly a client-server guy.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
Built the entity relationship diagram for my film rankings database in SQL 2008.  This is going to be fun building the front-end for this! :)

Yeah it's going to be basically all manual.  I'm not trying to make an exhaustive list like IMDB or Flickchart is doing.  Just a way to catalog all the films I've got in my various spreadsheets now and it will grow with every movie I see.  I want to make ranking easier and do some photo/screenshot tagging (like you would in facebook) so you can enter an actor's name and get all the graphics you have on file with that actor in it.  It'll also help me track movies I've seen and movies by year and track my home library better.  

It's mostly an excersize in getting better at web development.  I've been mainly a client-server guy.

Yeah, that sounds cool. I wanted an API so I could do something similar, but where my rankings would correlate to IMDB title IDs, that way I would have the benefit of things like year, director, genres, cast, etc. without having to manually enter anything but the title. It was a nice idea at least.

What are you writing the front end in?

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
Yeah, that sounds cool. I wanted an API so I could do something similar, but where my rankings would correlate to IMDB title IDs, that way I would have the benefit of things like year, director, genres, cast, etc. without having to manually enter anything but the title. It was a nice idea at least.

Yeah- I've been curious to see if there is some kind of webservice/API they have published.  I was so certain they wouldn't have an easy way to dump their raw intellectual property I didn't even look.  

I'm totally overdoing with a 4 tiered-architecture:  inline table functions, SP's, middle tier in c# and I haven't decided on the front end yet.  I was going to use ASP.net and xaml.  But I'm thinking maybe I want something a bit more cutting edge.  Any suggestions?
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »
Speaky da engrish prease!

lol

I have no idea what you guys are saying! ;)
Hey, nice marmot!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »
Yeah- I've been curious to see if there is some kind of webservice/API they have published.  I was so certain they wouldn't have an easy way to dump their raw intellectual property I didn't even look.
IMDB does actually have a few ways to interface with their database, including plain text database files, but they're more or less useless for my purposes.

I'm totally overdoing with a 4 tiered-architecture:  inline table functions, SP's, middle tier in c# and I haven't decided on the front end yet.  I was going to use ASP.net and xaml.  But I'm thinking maybe I want something a bit more cutting edge.  Any suggestions?
Heh, that's far more complex than anything I've done. :) I'm a PHP developer, don't really have a lot of experience outside of it, and it's more of a workhorse language than what you'd call cutting edge. ;)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »
IMDB does actually have a few ways to interface with their database, including plain text database files, but they're more or less useless for my purposes.

Heh, that's far more complex than anything I've done. :) I'm a PHP developer, don't really have a lot of experience outside of it, and it's more of a workhorse language than what you'd call cutting edge. ;)

It's like anything else with programming, it sounds complicated until you work with it for a week and then it's just like everything else.

I have the opposite problem.  Lots of backend experience, but very little on the front-end. 

What do you know about Ruby on Rails? 
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »

oh....so cool.  Not sure why I never looked.  Why do I have this endless pessimism?  Thanks Melvil.  

If I am able to download and parse it, is there a format that would be useful to you?  
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
What do you know about Ruby on Rails? 
Supposed to be one of the better/slicker application frameworks. Since I don't use Ruby I couldn't tell you much more than that. It was all the rage for a while at least, but it did have some backlash. Not sure where it stands now.

Ideally I wouldn't want to have to store the database locally at all, just make calls to it through the non-existent API. :) But I'd like to hear if you can make anything useful from this.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2010, 05:29:47 AM »
Courted trouble.  Stayed out of trouble.1  Had a good time.

pixote

1 For now.
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love