Author Topic: What is the best thing you did yesterday?  (Read 145904 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: What is the best thing you did yesterday?
« Reply #490 on: May 02, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
Since February I have been volunteering for the Phoenix chapter of Stand Up For Kids - we do outreach and support for homeless and at-risk youth - we recently opened our own youth center which is open all days on Saturdays so we can provide a safe place for the kids to eat, hang out, take a shower, get clothes and use the internet - yesterday I got to run the youth center - it was awesome!

Yea!  So cool.  Isn't it fun?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #491 on: May 02, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
Wow, a stage adaptation of Dorian Gray. I'll be curious to hear what that's like! Be sure to report back.

It was good! They turned Basil into a photographer, which worked perfectly well as that solved their problem of the transforming picture - they simply used four different photographs over the course of the evening.

If you didn't know better, you would never have guessed that you were watching an adaptation of a novel instead of a play. No overtly narrative passages, and after all, The Picture of Dorian Gray is full of great dialogue and lots of action, so it was no problem to bring all that alive on stage.

Dorian was played by a woman - for no apparent reason, because apart from that, the production was fairly conventional in terms of costumes, staging etc. She did a fantastic job, though, and after that first moment of realization that she was a woman, I never thought about it again for a single second.

So overall, a good experience, but nothing revelatory. One reason why I am not more enthusiastic could be that I have read the novel three times and watched the recent film version only a few weeks ago. As much as I like the story, I may have overdosed on it :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:34:17 AM by Emiliana »

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #492 on: May 02, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
Wow, a stage adaptation of Dorian Gray. I'll be curious to hear what that's like! Be sure to report back.

It was good! They turned Basil into a photographer, which worked perfectly well as that solved their problem of the transforming picture - they simply used four different photographs over the course of the evening.

If you didn't know better, you would never have guessed that you were watching an adaptation of a novel instead of a play. No overtly narrative passages, and after all, The Picture of Doarian Gray is full of great dialogue and lots of action, so it was no problem to bring all that alive on stage.

Dorian was played by a woman - for no apparent reason, because apart from that, the production was fairly conventional in terms of costumes, staging etc. She did a fantastic job, though, and after that first moment of realization that she was a woman, I never thought about it again for a single second.

So overall, a good experience, but nothing revelatory. One reason why I am not more enthusiastic could be that I have read the novel three times and watched the recent film version only a few weeks ago. As much as I like the story, I may have overdosed on it :)
Ooo, that sounds good. Nice idea in making Basil a photographer and interesting choice in making Dorian a woman.

I re-read the book back last year, and I'd actually really like to see a good adaptation of it. I'm not OD'd yet. :)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »
When Wilde writes a book it isn't all that far away from a play. Same with Roddy Doyle.

That sounds like a cool adaptation. I think I've only seen DG as a character in the great League of eXtraordinary Gentlemen.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Emiliana

• Elite Member
  • Life is a Cabaret!
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »

Ooo, that sounds good. Nice idea in making Basil a photographer and interesting choice in making Dorian a woman.

I re-read the book back last year, and I'd actually really like to see a good adaptation of it. I'm not OD'd yet. :)

I very strongly suspect that the recent film version will not be what you are looking for (if you were at all considering to see this, of course). They obviously were more interested in making a Gothic Victorian London horror film than anything else. Colin Firth is good in it, but I still think he is miscast as Lord Henry Wotton. And Ben Barnes as Dorian brought very little depth to the character, in my opinion.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »

I very strongly suspect that the recent film version will not be what you are looking for (if you were at all considering to see this, of course). They obviously were more interested in making a Gothic Victorian London horror film than anything else. Colin Firth is good in it, but I still think he is miscast as Lord Henry Wotton. And Ben Barnes as Dorian brought very little depth to the character, in my opinion.
I was hoping the new one might be good, but I wasn't holding my breath or anything. Too bad. :(  I love Firth, too, but he does seem miscast as Wotton.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #496 on: May 12, 2010, 02:53:13 AM »
I'm not going to write everything down right now, but let's say it involved fire, a hammer, an erasable marker, an external hard drive, pee, and an LCD screen. Oh, and bank statements. And cigars.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #497 on: May 19, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
Started feeling like my old self.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #498 on: May 19, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »

pixote

cured?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #499 on: May 19, 2010, 11:02:59 PM »

cured?

Maybe.  A had an awful week a couple weeks ago, but now only one bad day out of the last ten, which is like a new record or something.  :)

Tonight's three-mile run felt great, too.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad