love

Author Topic: What is the best thing you did yesterday?  (Read 145939 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: What is the best thing you did yesterday?
« Reply #1300 on: June 29, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
More like, 'The Best Thing They Did Yesterday'

:) thank you! I hope I will be an asset.

What time period are you looking at. I could recommend everything from John Adams (or the musical 1776) to JFK to the unofficial Lincoln Trilogy (Young Mr. Lincoln, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, Lincoln)

The classes I'll be helping with are general overview ones; so from early history all the way to the present.

Your Lincoln Trilogy! That's perfect. I've only seen the most recent one and feel remiss not having watched the others. I'll work on that. :) I think I've seen some conversation here about JFK and Thirteen Days. I've only seen the latter. My thinking is, whether the students watch any of these films or not, I'll definitely benefit from the list.

Thanks for these!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1301 on: June 29, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »
Congrats Sandy!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1302 on: June 30, 2019, 12:16:16 AM »
Way to go Sandy!

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #1303 on: June 30, 2019, 03:48:56 AM »
I went to an interview yesterday and they gave me the job right then and there! :))

I'll be working part time at a university's history and political science department as an instructional assistant: helping the students with their assignments, grading the subjective ones and may even guest lecture down the road. This semester is U.S. History, so it would be fun to build a film list that I can share with the students to help in their studies. Any favorites of yours will go directly on the list!

Lucky students, congrats !

Dr. Strangelove might seem like an odd choise for a history class, but I'd recommend it as a way to illustrate the nuclear scare and the Cold War in a way that is extremely approachable. Films are generally not great at depicting history accurately anyway, so you might as well go with a film that doesn't even pretend to be real at all !  ;D

For a more straightforward pick, Selma seems like it'd be a pretty good way to illustrate the Civil Rights movement.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1304 on: June 30, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Thanks guys! :)

Teproc, I think Dr. Strangelove is a great choice! Haha! The absurdity of it all!

I haven't seen Selma, so thanks for pointing it out!

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #1305 on: July 01, 2019, 10:33:38 AM »
This semester is U.S. History, so it would be fun to build a film list that I can share with the students to help in their studies. Any favorites of yours will go directly on the list!

The Best Years of our Lives (1946) - Documents the trials and tribulations of three different soldiers re-adjusting to civilian life after fighting in WWII.
The Missiles of October (1974) - Recounts the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962, giving the perspective from both the US and Russian sides.
All the President's Men (1976) - The Watergate Scandal.
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Though it's based on a novel of fiction, it explores the inhumanity of the Jim Crow south of the 20th century.
Something the Lord Made (2004) - HBO film which recounted the amazing achievements of a man (Vivien Thomas) with no formal medical training, but who figured out two medical solutions that has saved the lives of millions. Unfortunately, others got the credit, because he was black.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1306 on: July 01, 2019, 11:06:41 AM »
Or you could introduce graphic novels and have them read the three part series March written by John Lewis.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1307 on: July 01, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »
Agree about The Missiles of October and All the President's Men

Some more obvious choices:
United 93
The Right Stuff
Glory
Selma
Frost/Nixon
Good Night and Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:20:27 PM by 1SO »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1308 on: July 01, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
I’ll try to think of others but Iron Jawed Angels is good for women’s suffrage. Rosewood is pretty good for Jim Crow south racial violence.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1309 on: July 01, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »
Or you could introduce graphic novels and have them read the three part series March written by John Lewis.

This is the best visual representation of the Civil Rights Movement that I've seen/read. Highly recommend.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”