Author Topic: What is the best thing you did yesterday?  (Read 145814 times)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
Re: What is the best thing you did yesterday?
« Reply #1310 on: July 01, 2019, 11:43:33 PM »
Times of Harvey Milk
For All Mankind

So many good docs!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1311 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:48 PM »
13th
12 Years a Slave
Malcolm X
Gods and Generals

I really want to recommend 1776, despite it’s hero-worship and inaccuracy, because it is where I got  an outline of the Revolution and it represents the American mythos  of the war pretty well,
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #1312 on: July 29, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »
I went to an interview yesterday and they gave me the job right then and there! :))

I'll be working part time at a university's history and political science department as an instructional assistant: helping the students with their assignments, grading the subjective ones and may even guest lecture down the road. This semester is U.S. History, so it would be fun to build a film list that I can share with the students to help in their studies. Any favorites of yours will go directly on the list!

This is amazing Sandy, good luck!  I remember in my pop culture history class we discussed the role of history in film.  Whether or not it was important for a film to be historically accurate or for it to be allowed creative license and not care as much about historical accuracy.  A Critical History of History in Moving Pictures By John N. Dunbar Ph.D. is worth a read.  As for historical films I like things like Quo Vadis (or de Mille's Sign of the Cross) and Glory.  Political science films I liked American President, Nixon, and the two Eastwood WWII films Flags of our Fathers and the much better Letters from Iwo Jima. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1313 on: July 30, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »
This is amazing Sandy, good luck!  I remember in my pop culture history class we discussed the role of history in film.  Whether or not it was important for a film to be historically accurate or for it to be allowed creative license and not care as much about historical accuracy.  A Critical History of History in Moving Pictures By John N. Dunbar Ph.D. is worth a read.  As for historical films I like things like Quo Vadis (or de Mille's Sign of the Cross) and Glory.  Political science films I liked American President, Nixon, and the two Eastwood WWII films Flags of our Fathers and the much better Letters from Iwo Jima.

Ah, Quo Vadis! I remember it well. :)

The Sign of the Cross?! The pre-code pushing-the-envelope one with Claudette Colbert? :D I still need to see that! Thanks for the book recommendation and the films. I'll add them to my list!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1314 on: July 31, 2019, 02:00:48 PM »
Went to Netflix for a wrap party for the new doc series I worked on earlier this year. Coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4pi6hGbo8Y

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1315 on: July 31, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
Nice. Another one in the bag. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1316 on: July 31, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
Looks good
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #1317 on: August 01, 2019, 05:55:21 AM »
I went to an interview yesterday and they gave me the job right then and there! :))

I'll be working part time at a university's history and political science department as an instructional assistant: helping the students with their assignments, grading the subjective ones and may even guest lecture down the road. This semester is U.S. History, so it would be fun to build a film list that I can share with the students to help in their studies. Any favorites of yours will go directly on the list!

All this mad me think of this site for a bit.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1318 on: August 01, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
Went to Netflix for a wrap party for the new doc series I worked on earlier this year. Coming soon.

Looks awesome.
I’ll be watching it.
Hey, nice marmot!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1319 on: August 07, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »
All this made me think of this site for a bit.

Great find! Thanks!