love

Author Topic: BlacKkKlansman  (Read 2912 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: BlacKkKlansman
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 08:20:28 PM »
Unless you subscribe to the NY Times' editors' twitter feeds.

Or, out of the top of my head, if you've ever heard anything about the Toronto chapter of Black Lives Matter.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »
edit: nm, not worth it
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:50:50 PM by MartinTeller »

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »
Yeah, I knew as soon as I pressed “post,”  I was going to regret it.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »
I hated the way Spike Lee chose to end the film. I was fine with the meta-Trump references within the story and him finally getting to point up the racism of Birth of a Nation, though it's a real stretch to imagine this particular group sitting through that movie like it was Star Wars. He told a fine story, his best and most focused work in years. Then he goes from fiction to documentary. Why? To tell us that racism still exists? What a revelation. This coda is tied into the main theme, but has nothing to do with the characters. Tacked on at the end, it changes the channel before the story has time to settle in and take its bows.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
Then he goes from fiction to documentary. Why? To tell us that racism still exists?

In a post-Oscar presser he talks about this film being on the right side of history. So I think in some respect he included it for future audiences. So they can see what was happening in the real world at the time this film was made. Because in 30 years people will only vaguely remember how it was... but a clip like this will bring those memories into sharper focus.

He says all this after having spoken about the 30 year legacy of Do The Right Thing and how all of the issues in that film are still issues today. I think he has a lot of admiration for those people who've lead the fight over the years, and he would like to be remembered as one of those people. I think he's thinking of legacy and how he wants to be seen.

At the same time I think he's bumping up against the limitations of film making in terms of how much change he can actually bring about with his work. And things like including this newsreel montage are him trying whatever he can to make the film more powerful. The fact that Do The Right Thing is still so relevant is a testament to the film, but does that not also call into question how meaningful even a good film can be if after 30 years it has made no difference? It probably has made a difference but I suspect Lee must be frustrated, as all of us are, at the pace of change. And that frustration is pushing him to make certain choices in his filmmaking.

love