Author Topic: X-Men: Days of Future Past  (Read 5215 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »
Red glowy guy? Yeah but he wasn't given much to do. Blink dominated a lot of those scenes. I think the effects people had more fun with her power.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
Bishop was the walking gun guy. That's what I'm talking about. Did nothing, could have used the minute or so spent on him with more interesting people. Like, you know, some of the best young actors working today.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
I just noticed Chris Claremont and Len Wein played Congressmen. Where was John Byrne!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Osprey

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »
I just noticed Chris Claremont and Len Wein played Congressmen. Where was John Byrne!

That's great. 

Smiley

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 02:38:40 AM »
Yeah, like Osprey points out, I kept wondering, "won't this make the government want to send out a bunch of machines to kill mutants?"

Pretty much. That's kinda one of Magneto's key problems: He thinks he's making things better, but he's actually making them worse.
I did think in the cinema that he could of used the metal infused Sentinels to just cause general chaos at the display, which would have discredited Trask and the Sentinel program. That would have achieved the end goal without, y'know, dropping a bloody sports stadium on the White House.
But apparently Magneto likes to be a bit of a diva.

Something about Fassbender felt a little..........wooden this time, and he didn't feel as developed which after First Class was a little jarring. A lot of his actions were kind of just "because the plot said so" than actual logical decisions. I might feel different on a second viewing though.

Overall I would say that out of everyone McAvoy gave the strongest performance. We really did get him growing from Charles Xavier to Professor X.

I did really enjoy the film, but honestly I think I like First Class more. It was more of a character piece, it used the 60s setting well and felt more low-key and streamlined. This on the other hand goes for bombast and I just wish we could have some lower stakes superhero films these days. Closest we've gotten is The Wolverine and that lost its way in the third act.

Another thing I will say in this movie's favour though is the brilliant use of mutant powers. Blink and Warpath's teamwork, Bishop (who whilst brief I did think was a badass), the way they used telepathy, Magneto's powers, Quicksilver's powers. They were all used in effective and creative ways and I love seeing that.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
I didn't notice it right away, but starting in the army camp (the tent), I couldn't get over how ugly the picture was, visually. The film looked raw and unprocessed, like a cheap-looking show on PBS.

This. Thought the movie just looked ugly and cheap.