Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds: list of film references.  (Read 48682 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Inglourious Basterds: list of film references.
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 08:46:56 AM »
Is that clothes-line shot in the beginning a reference to anything? It feels like it would be, but then it feels like that shot is in a lot of movies, so I dunno.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
I can't believe we've gotten so used to Tarantino's camera inside the trunk of a car shot, we completely overlooked the similar angle he uses when Aldo is marking his survivors.  The shot comes from the original Last House on The Left.

saw this shot last last night in Three Kings
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
Is that clothes-line shot in the beginning a reference to anything? It feels like it would be, but then it feels like that shot is in a lot of movies, so I dunno.

thats right out of Once Upon a time in the West.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »

thats right out of Once Upon a time in the West.

Love it.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
No kiddin eh? I only just watched it a couple weeks ago... I'm surprised I didn't make the connection.

Pulpfictionfanatic

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
the piano music playing in the background when the Basterds break Stiglitz out of prison is from The Battle of Algiers.

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 01:42:44 PM »
The fine people at Scarecrow Video in Seattle have documented a whole lot of references.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

batgnome

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »
In the basement scene when Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz is daydreaming about being whipped by the Germans while captive is a reference to The Wild Bunch.  Robert Ryan in The Wild Bunch remembers being whipped while in prison.  The shot set ups and even the durations of the two scenes are nearly identical.

Andr4s

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
This may be kind of self referential, but in the La Luisiane basement scene, after the shootout, the last German soldier (Max i think) is arguing he shouldn't be killed because he's a father now, just like The Bride in Kill Bill argued she shouldn't be killed because she just found out she's going to be a mother.

Also, the Ennio Morricone song that plays in the first scene while the Nazi's approach uses Beethoven's Für Elise melody, and in the La Luisiane scene Beethoven is on one of the cards on someone's forehead for the game.

The Morricone music before the Bear Jew comes out of the cave sounds strikingly similar to the Morricone music in Kill Bill Vol. 2, I think the song where she breaks out of the coffin, the melody is the same.

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
There are a couple explicit references to Hitchcock's famous definition of suspense (two people talking at a table, shock is the table suddenly exploding; suspense is first showing the ticking time bomb under the table).  In the opening scene: the shot under the table (and floorboards).  In the final scene: the shot of the dynamite strapped to the basterds' legs.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"