love

Author Topic: Top 5 Filmspotting Moments  (Read 11291 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Top 5 Filmspotting Moments
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:54 AM »
 ;D
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Top 5 Filmspotting Moments
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »
5. Adam's reaction to Sam's name change

4. The battle of Sin City

3. The battle of The Lake House

2. (Tie) Sam's final show and his return for episode 200.

1. When my email was read on the show (around episode 40-something).

Honorable mentions:  Every year end wrap up, the introduction of Matty's Movie Minute, and Matty's reaction to Adam this week when Adam said he wants to show his daughter Tarantino films as an example of female empowerment.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:30:49 AM »
5. Adam/Sam sing massacre theatre
4. Battle of the Lake House
3. Sam Van Hallgren
2. Braveheart massacre theatre
1. One of the many brilliant outtakes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 11:33:53 AM by Wilson »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Lol, I don't think I've heard that Braveheart massacre theatre. Gotta find it now...

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
This is taken from an email I sent in right before Sam left the show.  I've listened to every episode of Filmspotting and highly recommend to those of you who haven't gone back and listened since Episode 1 to do so.  It's truly the best podcast out there.  Here are some things to listen for... My Top 10 Highlights of listening to every episode of Filmspotting…

10) Early on, listeners call the show “cinecrack”. When I heard that phrase, I realized I was an addict and took comfort in the fact that I wasn’t alone.

9) The review of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN’S CHEST. Perhaps their finest single analysis of a film. I still love the first PIRATES, but I may have turned a corner on both the series and Depp’s performance.

8 The growing debate on a new name for your show. This went on for many episodes and it was especially entertaining because I knew it would eventually be “Filmspotting”. On a much smaller scale, I also enjoyed the debate when Sam changed his name.

7) Listening with growing horror as they both felt certain that CRASH had no shot at winning Best Picture.

6) Cinecast A/V: While they weren’t ready for such a big step, it allowed me to finally put faces with the voices.

5) Their bravery in admitting to great films they haven't seen. This was in one of the first podcasts and the list was so appalling I almost stopped listening. But Adam, Sam and Matty have proven great analysis doesn’t hinge on the number of films you’ve seen.

4) The Marathons: I too have wanted to watch more Herzog/Kinski and following along with the marathon was exactly the right way to do it. I was thrilled when the Screwball Comedy marathon included THE THIN MAN.

3) Because of Filmspotting I now believe Tim Robbins is our most overrated actor. His hammy performance in HIGH FEDILITY set off red flags when I first saw the film, and after the analysis touched on in several episodes, I question if he’s ever been good. I’m sure I liked him in something, but I can’t think of a single performance that felt real. When he first appeared in WAR OF THE WORLDS, I should have seen the writing on the wall.

2) “Laura Linney is an age-appropriate character delivery device.” These words will go on Sam's tombstone. It’s not only the funniest thing said on the show, it’s the stuff of legend. Close behind in the funny department is a massacre theatre translated into Japanese and then back into English. So funny.

1) A discussion of the subjectivity of film criticism and how you can’t argue with someone who simply says “I hated it.” In today’s world of film criticism, They've taught me that it’s much more engaging to discuss a film than to simply throw Strong Opinions back and forth. Now when I watch movies, I talk about them rather then telling others simply what I think, and for that I thank Adam, Matty and Sam.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
That's a great list, ISO!

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:05:55 PM »
2) “Laura Linney is an age-appropriate character delivery device.”
I forgot about that. Classic.  ;D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »
Lol, I don't think I've heard that Braveheart massacre theatre. Gotta find it now...

Oh....that one was pretty good.  I'm thinking that was from mid June or so
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »
2) “Laura Linney is an age-appropriate character delivery device.”
I forgot about that. Classic.  ;D

That one I don't know, but by itself, that is a great quote.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
Crap.  Triple post.  Sorry.

My favorite moment is the when the /Filmcast took an excerpt from Filmspotting in which Adam and Matty were criticizing Ben Lyon's criticism of Synecdoche, New York.  Life imitating art at it's finest.
(switchboard)

love