Author Topic: Top 5 Films Defined by a Single Scene  (Read 7188 times)

chardy999

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Films Defined by a Single Scene
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
The Godfather cannot really be defined by a single scene but the horse head in the bed would come pretty close.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DanielG

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »
The Godfather cannot really be defined by a single scene but the horse head in the bed would come pretty close.

Is that really still a spoiler at this point? Can never be too careful though, I suppose...

And you're right, it can't be defined by one scene, but for whatever reason the Baptism is the one that stays with me after seeing the movie (and I've seen it maybe 3 or 4 times now).
It's curtains for you doctor...lacy, gently wafting curtains.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
So is this thread just 'name a great scene'?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:50 AM »
So is this thread just 'name a great scene'?

lol I think so ya.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:22 AM »
Alien - I'm not sure most people even realize that the movie had more than just the chest-burster scene.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Alien - I'm not sure most people even realize that the movie had more than just the chest-burster scene.

Good choice
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »
5.  Ran - The siege of the castle, greatest battle scene ever.  Ripped off by Spielberg for Saving Private Ryan.

4.  Downfall - That scene where Speer, the theoretical architect of Nazi Germany leaves the bunker one last time after saying goodbye to Hitler.  He turns around and looks at the ruined Nazi palace with its pseudo Roman statues, and grandiose columns; pauses for a moment, and leaves.  The picture goes out of focus.  The architect saying goodbye to his creation.  Perfect.  

3.  Together - Goran's break up scene, a triumph of human nature over hippie idealism.  An explosion of raw human emotion from beneath the constant BS and demagoguery.

2. Army of Shadow - The scene where the hero escapes to London, and watches the populace dance the night away under the bombs.  The contrast to serene France where life goes as usual under the Nazi boot is staggering.  It is better to die free than live a slave.

1.  Andrei Rublev - The ringing of the bell is the most life affirming scene in movie history.  Tarkovsky's defiant answer to the big question.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2009, 12:37:06 PM »
Nah there's also the cat scene

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »
Nah there's also the cat scene

"Here kitty, kitty, kitty. Meaow. Here Jonesy."

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24:21 PM »
Oh, I have one--Earthquake.  There's literally nothing else in the movie worth watching except the earthquake sequence.  Which still holds up pretty well considering the technology in the early 1970s.  If you haven't seen it, just skip to the part where the quake starts and watch it through the sequence where the mom has to rescue her kid from the culvert.  You can pretty much skip everything before and after it.

Although if you have suffered through all the "character development" of the first chunk of the movie, it makes the earthquake that much more enjoyable...