Author Topic: Top 5 Movies You Hated  (Read 53768 times)

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Movies You Hated
« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
White chicks
Dead Silence
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:40:33 PM by UberGeekyGirl »
"Sometimes it's only madness that makes us what we are." - Batman

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »

Dead Silence

Boyfriend hates the fact that I unabashedly love this movie.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2009, 12:11:34 AM »
Saying you hate White Chicks is like saying you hate cancer. It's a given.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2009, 02:06:40 AM »
[...]First is that the majority of the movie is about these terrible deaths of (more or less) innocent people that we're supposed to be rooting for. Or maybe that's my problem, maybe I'm supposed to be rooting for them to die. I dunno.[...]
I don't see that as a problem. I feel it's quite the opposite. I like being torn between wanting to see what death comes up with next and wishing for some of the characters to survive. I think creating this mood is a strong point of Final Destination.

The second thing is that the end basically tells you the whole movie really was pointless, they might as well have died on the plane. So the movie takes you for this ride of death that I couldn't enjoy as fully as the movie wanted me to, and then tells you there was no reason for it. I found that really unsatisfying.
I can absolutely see how one can look at it this way although you could say the same about pretty much any Cohen Brothers' movie. In the end nobody learned anything and most of the characters if not all of them are dead. I think a movie can be entertaining or make a point even when in the end it was all for nothing.

[...]To me the first movie seems to be a very very shallow commentary of life in general. What I mean is... things happen in our life, we make choices, we struggle and then we die. All of us. [...]
I never saw that in this movie. That's a pretty damn depressing and dark way of looking at it. Good point though.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
Final Destination is kind of fun. Final Destination 2 is practically a masterpiece.

I really hated every second of a movie called Excited that I saw at TIFF this year. Awful awful film. But I guess that's a standard for Canadian cinema.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »
Final Destination is kind of fun. Final Destination 2 is practically a masterpiece.

I really hated every second of a movie called Excited that I saw at TIFF this year. Awful awful film. But I guess that's a standard for Canadian cinema.

Ouch-- I hope you're joking FM!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »

In my experience most Canadian cinema is either painfully dull and mediocre, or aggrivatingly bad.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »

In my experience most Canadian cinema is either painfully dull and mediocre, or aggrivatingly bad.

One Mr. Cronenberg gives Canadian cinema a pass from now until the end of time.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »

Have you watched Passchendaele yet? You'll laugh your ass off at how awful it is.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #269 on: October 07, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
Croenberg, Egoyan, Black Robe, The Fast Runner, etc etc

You are making me sad.