love

Author Topic: Community  (Read 63231 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Community
« Reply #740 on: June 04, 2015, 03:24:44 AM »
I see how you did that...  but don't take the "censor" thing too bad.. everybody knows what you mean when they see CINECAST!

I don't care that it gets censored. Figured I'd change it for this though seeing as they dropped their only 2 f bombs in the whole show.

Ahh, now you just spoiled it for me;)  they did that on regular Television?  What network broadcasts Community in the US?

Woops. Yahoo picked it up for the new season but I'm not sure where it's broadcast. I'm in Australia so i just download it.

Well, you are forgiven now that I know where to find it.  I was wondering why it wasn't appearing in Hulu but I should be able to get it on my Apple TV through a yahoo app from what I just read
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #741 on: July 13, 2016, 12:28:55 AM »
Over the past couple months, I watched the entire six seasons of Community, I show I gave up on during its initial run after about three or four episodes. And I can still see why. Those early episodes still have their moments, but it's not actually until the show's twentieth episode when the show realized what it could be. That episode, "The Science of Illusion", isn't even especially good, but there's a liberating, somewhat shocking moment near the end where Annie and Shirley, acting as security guards, slam Jeff's head into a table to get answers. That's the exact instant, I think, when the series realized it could do whatever it wanted in its reality and get away with it, so long as it was entertaining. The show really takes takes flight after that, using its basic narrative foundation as a jumping off point for whatever it wants to do. The first paintball episode is a classic example.

Overall, the first three seasons are pretty good. They could have been great, if only the writers had been content with their successes and built upon them. Community is an object lesson in the pitfalls of self-awareness, though. The writers exhibit a stultifying need to always be original and to always remain true to the original concept. Those are huge problems, though, seeing as complete originality is an impossible (and unwanted) goal, and the show's original concept — random characters brought together by a community college study group for a Spanish class — is absolutely stupid. Still, that would have been fine, if the series had maintained a Simpsons-like indifference to the passing of time and character growth. But there's this constant need, totally unnecessary need to justify the characters' continuing relationship and it just makes you scream, NOBODY F—KING CARES! JUST DANCE, MONKEY! By the time the study group gets rechristened as a 'Save Greendale' committee, it's hard not to be frustrated by the constipated creativity.

Still, it's a pretty good show, with more highs than low. I'd recommend seasons 1-3 in full, just two episodes from season 4, most of season 5, and zero episodes from season six. (Yes, the Harmon-less fourth season has more good episodes than the Yahoo-financed sixth season, which is where the object lesson above takes clearest form.)

Reposting from another thread and adding... It's really cool to have a thread like this to refer back to when binge-watching an old series — especially one like Community, which I was able to watch straight through, without any of the will-it-or-won't-it-be-renewed wonders that regular viewers had to deal with.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #742 on: July 13, 2016, 01:48:18 AM »
This will always be one of the greatest moments in TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYGRxRCCoc
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #743 on: April 05, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
Now on Netflix! You've got the time now to (re)watch this great show.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #744 on: April 06, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
Now on Netflix! You've got the time now to (re)watch this great show.

Just started! I've not seen the series yet, so have lots of laughs ahead of me. :)

love