love

Poll

Which album is better?

Surfer Rosa
7 (24.1%)
Doolittle
22 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Best Album: Pixies  (Read 9570 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Best Album: Pixies
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 10:25:17 AM »
They seem to have no discernible emotion when playing together.
Hey, nice marmot!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

That's always been the case. The odd thing about the band is they pretty much loathed each other from day one yet still were able to make good music. Well to be fair, it was Black and Deal who loathed each other from day one.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »

What do you mean?

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »
They don't seem to enjoy what they are doing, or their interaction with the audience (in my opinion - the very essence of performing live) - it's not a knock against them as I love their music but it was very disappointing to see them in live clips.
Hey, nice marmot!

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »
They don't seem to enjoy what they are doing, or their interaction with the audience (in my opinion - the very essence of performing live) - it's not a knock against them as I love their music but it was very disappointing to see them in live clips.

Fair enough. They seemed mellower when I saw them a few years ago, but they're pretty reserved and focused on the music, it's true. It's still a great show.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
I've seen them 4 times going back to the early 90's and they have never been huge showmen. They are more of the stand there and sing type show.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 04:03:52 AM »
Come On Pilgrim/ Surfer Rosa/ Doolittle is a single immutable organism of sheer joy. The idea of separating something perfect feels.... The only word is sacrilegious. If u don't have things in your life where adoration turns to something more akin to fascism, you ain't living. I'm not rational on this subject.

Once Frank imposes his will on Kim and pushes her out they aren't really the same band. As in they aren't perfect anymore but still the best.

The section of Surfer Rosa from Break My Body to Where Is My Mind? is extraordinary and breath taking.

They have been here all summer playing the nonstop festival circuit. They seem much more relaxed. They come to be worshipped now. Possibly they struggled with people not recognising their brilliance first time round- it seems inconceivable now but we fell very hard  for them back then. There just weren't enough of us.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:12:44 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy