Author Topic: The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread  (Read 13116 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »
They often do.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
Well we're deep in the middle of Hitchcock marathon - currently Strangers on a Train, and last couple of shows there's been a lot of talk about Brokeback Mountain.  That's one that I completely missed - including just about everything else that came out that year - all the positive spin has got my opening up my queue again (actually for both these movies)

It was nice hearing "Alex in Dallas" today with his Brokeback feedback.  Every once in a while I hear a name I recognize from the forums and it's fun knowing how long some of you have been around.

They are flirting with the idea of doing a man-crush top 5.  This should be fun.  I was around when they did the most recent one toward the end of 2008 - and it was for that episode that I first emailed the show.  

Anyways.  

I might get in the mood to write this journal entries in the voice of a little girl with a german accent who can't stand her sweaty absentee father.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »
I do recall my name prior to Junior. I wonder who else does...

I do and I liked it, but not as much as Junior. 
Texan Down Under

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »
I do recall my name prior to Junior. I wonder who else does...

I do and I liked it, but not as much as Junior. 

same
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 11:15:09 PM »
I do, does that make me part of the cool crowd or the loser crowd?

Yes.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 08:54:01 AM »
The best ep will always be the one where I won massacre theater. ah, the memories...

So does everyone remember which episode they started listening at? I can't remember who turned me onto the show, but I do remember surprisingly vividly that my first episode was Cinecast #18: Fear and Loathing in Gotham City.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:56:43 AM by tjwells »

kevdo

• http://www.the-frat-pack.com
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »
That video podcast was a memorable, failed, experiment.
Kevin Crossman - official Filmspotting nemesis
Sam Van Hallgren Nickname: "Captain Bullseye"
The Frat Pack Tribute at www.The-Frat-Pack.com

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »
On tonight's #76 the first time I've officially heard the phrase "it's going in the pantheon" - referring to Chinatown getting the legendary status that Citizen Cane and the Godfather already had.   Tonight a listener wrote in and called out Adam for uttering the phrase "I hear you're saying but you're wrong" too many times.  I'm guessing this is the point at which this becomes the "inside joke" that eventually grew to become a signature catch phrase borrowed and referenced by other podcasts.  Nice - too unofficial starts in one evening.  If they only knew.

They've just finished doing a Top 5 "most anticipated for 2007" which included "Talladega Nights" (or the "Untitled Nascar Movie with Will Farrell" -that phrase alone tells you all that's wrong with hollywood! )
, "Idiocracy", "The Fountain" and "Zodiac".  Adam's #2 was "Superman Returns".  It's not his fault

They are still doing the two shows a week thing - which I'm really glad they moved off of eventually.  There are rarely clips for the massacre theaters - which makes me very appreciative we have them now - because I'm forgetting what the dialog was when they give the answer!  Doing 6-10s seems in hindsight like overkill and perhaps a bit of a cheat.  Glad that eventually disappeared.  

They did a, I think, tongue in cheek call for a $500 telethon for licensing money so they can do film soundtracks on their bumper music.  Pretty sure that was tongue in cheek.  I'm glad they have stuck with the kinda-sort-indie track.  It gives the show a unique character and indie sensibility
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:28:06 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »
(#77)

I love how they keep joking around about "the intern" messing things up.  The joke of course being that no such intern existed and the idea was so proposterous that the thought was funny in itself. 

The debate about licensing money and soundtrack music thankfully lasted just one show.  So I guess it wasn't tongue in cheek, since they reported a bunch of people donating money to the cause.  Once again - another would-be pivotal moment in Filmacinecast history.
(switchboard)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »
(#77)

I love how they keep joking around about "the intern" messing things up.  The joke of course being that no such intern existed and the idea was so proposterous that the thought was funny in itself. 

The debate about licensing money and soundtrack music thankfully lasted just one show.  So I guess it wasn't tongue in cheek, since they reported a bunch of people donating money to the cause.  Once again - another would-be pivotal moment in Filmacinecast history.
Really enjoying this thread everyone. One note though -- I think we only got one donation to the cause. More swayed by the emails saying they enjoyed the music, or at least enjoyed being exposed to new music.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)