love

Author Topic: The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread  (Read 19893 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »
A recent thread about the "best filmspotting moments" (and Matt's gentle rebuke! :) ) had me inspired to finally go back to the beginning and listen to the entire history of the show since Cinecast #1.  (Up til that point I'd just hit a few here and there on particular films or topics)

So I went back and started with #1, and I was amazed at how relatively polished in the beginning - so many things in place and still working four years later: the opening theme music, the "commercial breaks", and the signature top 5 lists!  

I'm now up to #52.  

I'm at the point where I think it might be interesting to share some impressions as I go through the back catalog.  I keep hearing things that give me a grin and learning about movies I'd long since forgotten about.

I keep waffling on just how interesting these thoughts might be for others to read...

But perhaps it might encourage others to go back with me and share their thoughts as well.  Or give a free form place to talk about where they are in the back catalog without having to necessarily be episode specific.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:58:13 PM »
I did this a couple of years ago.  The episodes still hold up and the analysis is very fresh.  Plus you have all the past marathons and Top 5 lists.  Great stuff that I think is a Must for any true fan of the show.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »
So before doing a summary of 1-50.  Here I am at #52.  It's obviously transition time.  We have two 1/2 shows a week.  We're about half way to the name change.  They are doing a 6-10 for every top 5.  Adam has been getting criticisms for why the video of the podcast doesn't "look like a studio" and there are "cords lying around".  Sam is catching flack for thinking Vera Drake was a biopic (just like Joan Rivers did!).  Adam within 2 seconds vowed never to see "Ghandi" then got strangely curious about it upon being reminded Daniel Day Lewis was in it.  Sam has been dropping plugs for some novel writing podcast.  So far only Citizen Cane is in the Pantheon (and I don't believe it's called that yet!)

So I don't know the history.  I'm not sure when they go to back to the one show format, why they ditched the 6-10, why Sam left, why and how they went about changing the name and when Al Pacino started showing up in the open.  Don't anyone spoil it ;)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
Im doing the same thing and really enjoying it. I started listening after Adam appeared on the IFC Podcast and I decided to check out Filmspotting...among the first episodes I listened to were the Iron Man and Speed Racer ones at the beginning of last summer. Been listening ever since.

Slowly but surely Ive been working through the back episodes. I burn through them the most quickly when I dont particularly care for the marathon topic, or when Ive already seen all the movies in said marathon. When I am interested in the marathon, Ill pause for a few weeks and watch all the movies on the movies on the list, along with some supplemental choices of my own.

On about #183 now. Almost caught up with the point that I started listening.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
There is an AWESOME penguin joke in the outtakes of one episode. If you come across it in your travels can you let me know which episode?

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »
There is an AWESOME penguin joke in the outtakes of one episode. If you come across it in your travels can you let me know which episode?

will do (haven't heard it yet.  No outtakes yet!)
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
Do my ears deceive me, or did they just SING "Up Where We Belong" ?   :D
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 04:17:43 AM »
Do my ears deceive me, or did they just SING "Up Where We Belong" ?   :D

Is this the musical massacre theatre? I love that! I was dying with how funny it was.

I've also gone through the back catalog, but I did it kind of slowly. It's still amazing analysis of film back then as well.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
So I'm up to around #60.  

Ringing praise for Syriana....I need to see that again...I almost forgot that I own it.  Adam was right in his comment that it was perhaps too intellectual and not enough hitting on a gut level.  

We're toward the end of a horror marathon that includes Reanimator and Halloween

Great Blade Runner massacre theater (I've got to go put this in again)

But the big takeway from this show is Adam arguing that Jake Gyllenhaal is a better actor than Heath Legder (in their discussion of the yet-to-be released Brokeback Mountain)  Wondering if he'd like to get that one back?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 12:37:28 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:44:44 PM »
Hmmmmmm.....#61: Adam cops to never seeing Trainspotting all the way through.  Has me wondering if sometime in the next 41 shows he does!

By the way....so professionally done already.  I really like Sam and Adam together in these old shows.  Very curious to hear how and when Marty entered the picture?  I'll find out eventually here.

There is no comparison between this and other movie podcasts.  It's so obvious that a good deal of planning (outlining) is done before each one.  As much as I like other podcasts (like /Film and others), too many times they're like - hey let's look this up on IMDB right now or, hmmmm...I believe I saw a user email on this, just a minute...or these this cut/edit right in the middle of laughter)

Anyways.  Listening to these is like catching up one earlier seasons of Lost.  It's fun knowing some of the stuff that's going to happen.
(switchboard)

love