love

Author Topic: The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread  (Read 19892 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The unofficial Cinecast / Filmspotting flashback thread
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 09:33:20 AM »
Adam;

Maybe you remember where the Zebra/Penguin joke was? It was in the outtakes of a show. I remember I emailed you and told you how I spit coffee all over my microscope.
No recollection of this, but fortunately there's gmail:

"I have been listening to the show since episode two and I have to say the panda line at the end of the last episode was the best ever. However, it caused me to spit my coffee onto the $10,000 microscope on which I was working , and forced me to hurriedly spend a hour trying to clean it before my boss found out.

Love the show but give a man some warning next time."

May 16, 2008 - which would make it #210 or #209.

Damnit now I have to listen to this.

haha. When you mentioned the Zebra joke I was trying to remember what it was, but when Adam mentioned it was around #210, the episode they reviewed Redbelt, I remembered it. That joke is hilarious.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
It's beginning to dawn on me that I've listened to 84 episodes in a little over two weeks.  Talk about a cinecrack addiction.

Right now we're talking about the 2006 Oscars and finally the subject of the name change is getting top billing.   It will be interesting to me how and where "Filmspotting" came from.  It is such a clutch name.  It really grabs your attention and communicates the "character" and quality of the show.  I've got to believe in hindsight losing "cinecast" was one of the best things that has happended for the popularity of the show.  This is especially evident when you hear all the suggestions that are coming in
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
I agree with what you say about Filmspotting being better than Cinecast.  Cinecast is so '90s. the change of name to Filmspotting moved the podcast into the 21st century, I think.  It sounds much more internet-friendly than Cinecast.
Texan Down Under

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »
I agree with what you say about Filmspotting being better than Cinecast.  Cinecast is so '90s. the change of name to Filmspotting moved the podcast into the 21st century, I think.  It sounds much more internet-friendly than Cinecast.
Seemed like the end of the world at the time. Great in retrospect.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »

Big laugh today when a writer emailed suggesting the name "Cinemaddiction" -citing that it sounded like Homer Simpson saying "saxomaphone".

Sounds like a name has been picked and will be revealed in a few months.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
I like that you are doing this ferris.  Ah, the memories.  :), it's amazing just from your recaps, how much I remember.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »

Big laugh today when a writer emailed suggesting the name "Cinemaddiction" -citing that it sounded like Homer Simpson saying "saxomaphone".

Sounds like a name has been picked and will be revealed in a few months.

My first episode was The Last King of Scotland.  Right now you're at what might be my favorite section of episodes.  This is where I was truly addicted, listening to a half-dozen episodes a day at work, when I never listened to anything at work before.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:06 AM »
I like that you are doing this ferris.  Ah, the memories.  :), it's amazing just from your recaps, how much I remember.

I'm glad people are enjoying these :)
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
I'm up to #92.  This was when the guys were in New York and doing the top 5 NY movies, reviewed Lucky Number Slevin and West Side Story in the musical's marathon.  It was around this time when there is a second mention of Matty Robinson on the show.  If my understanding is right Sam went to Providence to see him in a a production of a play.  

For once a listener wrote in to correct another listener - about the downed ship referenced in Jaws being the Indianapolis, not the Arizona.  

A few episodes ago someone wrote in from Stokholm saying that the name of "Road House" in Sweden was "Dirty Fighting" and all subsequent Swayze movies got rebadged in Sweden with "Dirty" somewhere in the title, to bank on the popularity of the original .  It was never verified one way or the other it the writer was correct, but it launched a brief but very comical discussion about renaming an actor's or director's subsequent movies after the first one that made them a household name.  I don't recall now some of the suggestions but they were along the lines of "A Clockwork Eyes Shut", 'A Clockwork Metal Jacket"....or "Gangs of NewFellas", "The Last Temptation of Christfellas".   Probably not enough for a top 5 or even a thread here on the site, but a funny concept none the less.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:18:06 AM by ferris »
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
I don't think a week goes by without some mention of Sin City or Faye Dunaway.  It's pretty funny.   Not a complaint at all but it contributes to the sense that Adam and Sam are good friends and they constantly get after each other for each others' tastes. 
(switchboard)