love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228584 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #310 on: November 22, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
Heh, I know 12 of them by name. That's about 12 more than two years ago.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #311 on: November 22, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
Kim Longinotto is the one I know almost nothing about.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #312 on: November 22, 2009, 12:57:08 PM »

That's the one I don't know as well.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #313 on: November 22, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »

interesting. Which ones have you heard of before?

I've shamed myself enough  :(

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #314 on: November 22, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »

Oh, and I'm mostly clueless on Hioshi Shimizu as well.

Nice to see Ermanno Olmi on that list. "The Tree Of Wooden Clogs" is a real gem.(and winner of the Palme D'Or!)
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #315 on: November 22, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
i want to cry that mizoguchi isnt anywhere to be seen and tarkovsky is so low :(

I recently rewatched Ugetsu and Sansho, and those two films have lost their impact on me.  I imagine Story of the Last Chrysanthemums would still get me.  I find his work a little too melodramatic for me right now.  I wouldn't call Terence Davies an emotionally subtle filmmaker, but his work is a little more my thing right now as they're impressionistic while being highly melodramatic.  At the same time, stylistically, Mizoguchi still remains pretty high on my list-- Top 30, probably.

Tarkovsky used to be in my Top 5.  I think it's a matter of not having watched any of his films recently; it's been a long while.  Also, I'm not much in a mood to watch any of them right now.

Your list is missing Pialat, Verite.

Top 30, probably.

Offhand my top discoveries of the year are Longinotto docs-- Divorce Iranian Style; Hold Me Tight, Let Me Go; and Runaway.  Second Run released the first and third.  And PBS broadcast her Hold Me Tight, Don't Let Me Go.  Then I saw Shinjuku Boys and Dream Girls which give the viewer access to subcultures with gender roles playing an important part.  With Iranian and Runaway, she takes a look at women constrained in society.  Great stuff.

Oh, and I'm mostly clueless on Hioshi Shimizu as well.

Nice to see Ermanno Olmi on that list. "The Tree Of Wooden Clogs" is a real gem.(and winner of the Palme D'Or!)

Shimizu kind of reminds me of Il Posto.  At the same time, they're totally different.  It's the way the films unfold and their mixture of drama and comedy along with the presence of social criticism.  Shimizu's films are comparatively more plot.  The Eclipse Shimizu set has his road/travel films.

More Olmi, please!  Posto, Fidanzati, Clogs-- masterpieces.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:51:20 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2009, 05:23:12 PM »
Just saw some random shot of Che and it was totally Soderbergh ripping off Malick.

It starts with still water with specks over it with the reflection a tree to the right, just like the opening shot of The New World.

I'm still interested in seeing Che, even though Soderbergh is pretty low on my list at the moment.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #317 on: November 23, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
I'm still interested in seeing Che, even though Soderbergh is pretty low on my list at the moment.

You know Basil has your exact address and will stalk you and tie you to a chair and force you to watch schizopolis over and over again?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2009, 06:01:31 PM »

You know Basil has your exact address and will stalk you and tie you to a chair and force you to watch schizopolis over and over again?

:D  :D  :D

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »
Schitzopolis is awesome.  It's the rest of Soderburgh that I have trouble with. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love