Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228229 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #720 on: January 03, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
Read this in a Kubrick FAQ:

Kubrick grew up on the Grand Concourse and 196th Street in the Bronx, attending Taft High School. His love of film began at an early age he would go to Loew's Paradise and R.K.O. Fordham twice a week to view the double features. He would later say of this experience: "One of the important things about seeing run-of-the-mill Hollywood films eight times a week was that many of them were so bad [...] Without even beginning to understand what the problems of making films were, I was taken with the impression that I could not do a film any worse than the ones I was seeing. I also felt I could, in fact, do them a lot better."

Now when you pick films to see - will you allow yourself to see the crap and dross because it makes you a better film viewer?
Hey, nice marmot!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »
Now when you pick films to see - will you allow yourself to see the crap and dross because it makes you a better film viewer?

I rarely go out of my way to do so, but it happens frequently in the natural course of things. :)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #722 on: January 03, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »
I am not saying to delibrately pick "bad" films but do you allow for the idea that even a possibly flawed film can be great or at least very good?
Hey, nice marmot!

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #723 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
I am not saying to delibrately pick "bad" films but do you allow for the idea that even a possibly flawed film can be great or at least very good?

Absolutely! There's a big difference between flawed and dross though. Although going along with your original question, I think even the occasional dross has its value, if only to keep things in perspective.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #724 on: January 03, 2010, 01:41:57 PM »
So far the only one I'm sure of IB.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #725 on: January 03, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
The only 2009 release I'm sure of is Where the Wild Things Are. Maybe Precious or Capitalism. The only real contender I still need to see is A Serious Man.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #726 on: January 03, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »

That's what my childhood was like: just watching whatever happened to be on HBO or something.  Junior high was when I started to get selective.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #727 on: January 03, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »

That's what my childhood was like: just watching whatever happened to be on HBO or something.  Junior high was when I started to get selective.

Ditto.

How many times have you seen "Surviving The Game"?

Me? Too many.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #728 on: January 03, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »
Read this in a Kubrick FAQ:

Kubrick grew up on the Grand Concourse and 196th Street in the Bronx, attending Taft High School. His love of film began at an early age he would go to Loew's Paradise and R.K.O. Fordham twice a week to view the double features. He would later say of this experience: "One of the important things about seeing run-of-the-mill Hollywood films eight times a week was that many of them were so bad [...] Without even beginning to understand what the problems of making films were, I was taken with the impression that I could not do a film any worse than the ones I was seeing. I also felt I could, in fact, do them a lot better."

I wish I still had the time to do what I used to do (and I wish there was still such a thing as a $1 or $2 theater).  When I was in grad school there was an 8-screen dollar theater near where I lived.  When I had some time on the way home from school or in the evening, I would go there and simply buy a ticket to the next movie showing.  I did see a lot of crap this way, but I also stumbled across movies I'd probably never have seen otherwise (like Candyman that we were talking about on another thread).

Now it feels like my time is so tight that I have to plan an exact show to go see and decide ahead of time (days ahead of time, often) to see a movie.  And there are so many quality movies that I haven't seen, both out and in my home via DVDs I own but haven't watched, Netflix DVDs to watch, and stuff available on streaming Netflix at any time, that it doesn't seem justifiable to travel to a movie theater and spend a minimum of $5.00 (if I go to the first matinee of the day before noon) to see something that might utterly suck.  When I was spending a $1.00 or $2.00 it didn't bother me to walk out of a movie partway through and into another one that was half over, or just go home and try again another day. 

Now...when I can stream Kurosawa's stuff on Netflix, how can I justify going to see Couples Therapy or Armored?

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #729 on: January 04, 2010, 10:48:58 AM »

Of course. That's all about a person's reaction to a film. I can think of plenty of films which I personally love that are far from perfect.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

love