Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228235 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:40:14 PM »
I've realized lately that when I finish watching a movie I often have questions or observations that don't fit into any of the threads we have. Same goes for random thoughts about actors, movies, directors, etc. that just op into my brain. Threads like Movie Buzz and Write About The Last Movie You Watched are great threads, but they are pretty specific and I don't want to derail them with borderline off-topic musings. So I made this topic, hopefully I won't be the only person in this topic asking questions, one is the loneliest number after all.  :P

I just finished watching Auf Der Anderen Seite (The Edge Of Heaven) from 2007, and what a great movie. There's lots to love about it, especially Nurgül Yesilçay who is just amazing, but the movie reminded me a lot of Babel. Then I got thinking about why this movie was pretty much ignored the year it came out while the completely forgettable Babel was a huge hit the previous year? I just wonder why people were so accepting of the convoluted Babel and this fine film has remained ignored?

That's my random thought, and this thread is soon to be populated by a ton of them, I'm crazy like that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:22:14 AM by pixote »

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
Babel: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchette, bigger studio etc. That's like asking how come more people in North America of have the U.S. remake of The Ring than those that have seen Ringu.

Which reminds me, I need to watch the Edge of Heaven. I took the DVD from the library but didn't have time to watch it. D'oh.

-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:42:05 PM »
I feel like people would ignore me if I started calling certain films too artsy-fartsy. I want to, but I don't.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
My favorite four words in all of film? "Written and Directed By"
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »

I could not agree more. It nearly always means the movie will be good. Also, the converse is that any movie with more than two writers is pretty much guaranteed to be pure garbage.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
and movies that cost too much are always bad.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »

I could not agree more. It nearly always means the movie will be good. Also, the converse is that any movie with more than two writers is pretty much guaranteed to be pure garbage.

"Sunset Boulevard" has 3 credited writers, "Once Upon A Time In The West" has 4, "Children of Men" has 5 and "Once Upon A Time In America" has a whopping 7, and so on and so forth.

Conversely, "Epic Movie" has the credit of Written And Directed by. There's a lesson here.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
Epic Movie is great? Is that the lesson?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
Epic Movie is great? Is that the lesson?

Perhaps.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »

"Sunset Boulevard" has 3 credited writers, "Once Upon A Time In The West" has 4, "Children of Men" has 5 and "Once Upon A Time In America" has a whopping 7, and so on and so forth.

Conversely, "Epic Movie" has the credit of Written And Directed by. There's a lesson here.

all exceptions to a great rule.