love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228227 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »
I've been trying to figure it out, but I can't.  How did The Blind Side have a bigger opening on fewer screens than The Proposal?

It can't just be star power, All About Steve proved that Bullock + The Star of The Hangover does not = success.  (That grossed less for its entire run than Blind Side's opening weekend.) 
And romantic comedies often open stronger than sports dramas.  And Bullock's biggest successes come in the rom-com genre.
So how did this happen?

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
The television ads said it was an unspirational and uplifting story! Come on, no brainer!
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »
Kyle Chandler as Coach Taylor in the television series "Friday Night Lights" exemplifies the finest work in acting.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #333 on: November 24, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »
Kyle Chandler as Coach Taylor in the television series "Friday Night Lights" exemplifies the finest work in acting.

Chandler and Britton are sublime in the series.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
Is Twilight a right-wing conspiracy?

Those from the right wing like to deride feminism while reaping the rewards it has generated. Perhaps the greatest example of this is Sarah Palin who never passes up an opportunity to argue feminism was bad, while ignoring the fact that her entire political career was made possible by the very same movement. The right-wing hates feminism because they idealize a by-gone era when men were dominant and women stayed home, bare-foot and pregnant. For the same reasons, I am sure they are ecstatic about the popularity of the Twilight series among women. 

Granted I have not seen the Twilight films so perhaps there is a subtextual layer of feminism that only reveals itself upon viewing. However, the series appears to be a thinly-veiled attempt to convince young women that the 1950's version of women's rights was superior to the modern feminist standpoint. The central vampires in the film are all men and they have all the power. The central female has one role to play. She is there to mope around and pine for a man, regularly moaning that she is worthless and will only be complete when she is accepted by a man. There is no place for the idea that a woman can be a complete person on their own.  Their only true life goal is to find a man and couple up. Anything else in life is meaningless (friends, family, career, self-improvement).

But all romances are like this you say! I would argue this is not the case. The best romances are feminist. There is nothing anti-feminist about wanting to be in a relationship and falling in love. Great loves stories like Before Sunrise/Sunset are about finding love, but the female character in these films is a complete person who has a life outside her male counterpart. Furthermore, their relationship is egalitarian. The ghosts of the 1950's are not present in Celine and Jessie's relationship.

The same is clearly not true for Twilight. Once Bella chooses between Jacob and Edward (or more likely they choose for her) with their relationship be egalitarian. It's hard to image. What is left to accomplish for a women in this world once she has found true love? She is now suppose to spend her life bare-foot and pregnant, no longer moaning about needing a man, but moaning about needing his attention.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #335 on: November 24, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »

Oh, and I'm mostly clueless on Hioshi Shimizu as well.

Nice to see Ermanno Olmi on that list. "The Tree Of Wooden Clogs" is a real gem.(and winner of the Palme D'Or!)

Shimizu kind of reminds me of Il Posto.  At the same time, they're totally different.  It's the way the films unfold and their mixture of drama and comedy along with the presence of social criticism.  Shimizu's films are comparatively more plot.  The Eclipse Shimizu set has his road/travel films.

More Olmi, please!  Posto, Fidanzati, Clogs-- masterpieces.

Tree of Wooden Clogs played every xmas season up at U Film Society in Mpls forever (i have no idea if it still has over the past few years as that org was swallowed by Oak St/MN Film Arts) - unfortunately i never caught it

I didn't recognise Olmi as the director of Tree of Wooden clogs, now I recognise another director on Verite's list. I really want to see that movie(you know it's Mike Leigh's favourite movie?).
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #336 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
Is Twilight a right-wing conspiracy?

Those from the right wing like to deride feminism while reaping the rewards it has generated. Perhaps the greatest example of this is Sarah Palin who never passes up an opportunity to argue feminism was bad, while ignoring the fact that her entire political career was made possible by the very same movement. The right-wing hates feminism because they idealize a by-gone era when men were dominant and women stayed home, bare-foot and pregnant. For the same reasons, I am sure they are ecstatic about the popularity of the Twilight series among women. 

Granted I have not seen the Twilight films so perhaps there is a subtextual layer of feminism that only reveals itself upon viewing. However, the series appears to be a thinly-veiled attempt to convince young women that the 1950's version of women's rights was superior to the modern feminist standpoint. The central vampires in the film are all men and they have all the power. The central female has one role to play. She is there to mope around and pine for a man, regularly moaning that she is worthless and will only be complete when she is accepted by a man. There is no place for the idea that a woman can be a complete person on their own.  Their only true life goal is to find a man and couple up. Anything else in life is meaningless (friends, family, career, self-improvement).

But all romances are like this you say! I would argue this is not the case. The best romances are feminist. There is nothing anti-feminist about wanting to be in a relationship and falling in love. Great loves stories like Before Sunrise/Sunset are about finding love, but the female character in these films is a complete person who has a life outside her male counterpart. Furthermore, their relationship is egalitarian. The ghosts of the 1950's are not present in Celine and Jessie's relationship.

The same is clearly not true for Twilight. Once Bella chooses between Jacob and Edward (or more likely they choose for her) with their relationship be egalitarian. It's hard to image. What is left to accomplish for a women in this world once she has found true love? She is now suppose to spend her life bare-foot and pregnant, no longer moaning about needing a man, but moaning about needing his attention.

If you could expand on this and better articulate some thought (and maybe add some stuff about how Stephanie Meyer is Mormon and such) you might have a really good Reelists article going.  ;)
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #337 on: November 24, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
good idea. I'll beef it up a little and submit it to you.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #338 on: November 24, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
I would avoid doing that without seeing the films, as admitting that connotes a lesser credibility.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #339 on: November 24, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
I would avoid doing that without seeing the films, as admitting that connotes a lesser credibility.

Damn. I somehow figured he'd seen it. The FLY is right.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love