Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228488 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #1300 on: February 22, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
People don't say "how'd they do that!?" quite as much as they used to it seems.

Yeah, that's the downfall of the rise of CGI.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1301 on: February 22, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »

Yeah, that's the downfall of the rise of CGI.

The upshot is when you get a really amazing practical effect it meets with great reception. The truck flip in The Dark Knight did that incredibly well. It amazed people precisely because it was an actual truck flipping over.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1302 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
I like that line from The Prestige that sort of touches on the issue.

Never show anyone. They'll beg you and they'll flatter you for the secret, but as soon as you give it up... you'll be nothing to them.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1303 on: February 22, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »

The interesting flipside is most people understand how they actually did things less than ever.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1304 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »

The interesting flipside is most people understand how they actually did things less than ever.

If you require people to say more than just "it's cgi" you mean? That seems true.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1305 on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1306 on: February 22, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »
Guy Maddin 100% tomato. Technically a fruit.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #1307 on: February 22, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
Guy Maddin 100% tomato. Technically a fruit.

;D ;D ;D

I second that.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1308 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »

If you require people to say more than just "it's cgi" you mean? That seems true.

Well, yeah. Saying "they used CGI" is like saying "they used models" or "they did it for real". It doesn't really explain anything, and is an easy dismissal that makes no acknowledgment of the difficulty and innovation that actually went into the work. With practical effects everyone can relate to manipulating reality, so they have a point of reference when they see something and they can't figure out how it was done. With CG, most people have no idea how the medium works, so it's all the same to them.

I constantly see stuff in CGI that blows my mind, but I have the advantage of having practiced CG (sounds like a cult when I put it like that) for many years, so I have a lot more context than most people.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1309 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:32 PM »
All I meant was that there was a time when people would watch a movie like Star Wars or Jurassic Park or even Lord of the Rings and say "how did they do that." But now that cgi is the go-to fix for almost any effect most people just accept that anything that can be imagined can be done an not much is impressive. But then you get something like the truck flip where it is clearly practical and because of that it is instantly more impressive on a gut level. Not even in a "how did they do that" way, but in an "I can't believe they actually flipped a friggin 18-wheeler!" kind of way.

I think recently where cgi effects have been most impressive to people is in the area of melding the practical and virtual. The Avatar cgi is impressive, but on the surface it appears to most people as simply as a big leap in effects quality. But you show people Ben Button and despite them realizing there is a ton of cgi they still go "my how did they make Brad Pitt look so young?" or "how did they make him look so old?" or "how did they turn him into a small guy like that?" People get when something is cgi and so they dismiss it, but when it is mixed so thoroughly with something practical people are more likely to wonder how it's done because there is still a basis for the effect in reality.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad