love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228438 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #1320 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »
Well, but Erin Brokovich was a Soderbergh film. Also, Julia Roberts can act, sort of.

Colleen, do the police really use software like this? It looks kind of impractical to me. Or maybe it's an FBI thing.

Nope.  Nor do we have computers that can not only instantly generate a map showing locations of all the victims in a crime spree, but their photos as well (the episode of Bones we watched last night severely irritated me).

It's like that episode of Buffy where Buffy starts to critique the martial arts movie and Willow gets all upset by the protrayal of witches. "Who uses a cauldron anymore??"
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1321 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
Yeah I love the CSI episodes where they give the computer the sample of the DNA and the criminals faces flash on the screen one after the other.   That's a very effective way to speed up your search - flash a bunch of hi-res graphics on the screen.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1322 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »
But you can get full DNA profiles on anyone in under 10 hours right?  ;)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1323 on: February 23, 2010, 11:23:02 AM »
But you can get full DNA profiles on anyone in under 10 hours right?  ;)

It's even  better when they show the 3d rendering of the dna molecules on screen.  That's tight.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1324 on: February 23, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
After the Bones episode was over I made Jan watch the "Enhance It" video on YouTube so she understood why I was laughing so at one point in the show.

Bones is entertaining enough that I've learned to mostly ignore the horrific science and evidence handling.  But this one was too much--it involved victims being given illegally obtained bone grafts that were from a deceased person with virulent cancer, so all the recipients were coming down with the same cancer.  

So they want to ID the original "donor" so analyze the bones.  Hey look, lack of flouridated water in this guy's life!  So he's from Appalachia.  And there's a larger than normal amount of some chemical that is part of Teflon.  Hey, there's a factory that manufactures Teflon products in West Virginia.  Okay so now we have it narrowed down to 3(!!) guys who died of that kind of cancer around a year ago.  Dig 'em up!  Two are undisturbed, so this guy MUST BE OUR GUY!

So I already have a massive problem with this convenient chain of reasoning, any defense attorney would have a field day with it.  On top of it, the widow of the 3rd guy won't let them dig up her yard (where his ashes were scattered) to find bone fragments they could link to the victims' cases.  Come back with a warrant!  

No judge in the world would grant a warrant based on what they had at that point.  And then within 20 minutes they have a warrant, dig up a yard in West Virginia, do the comparison and yep, it's their guy.

Not to mention the overdone treacly B-story of one of the victims, 15 year old dying of the cancer from the bone graft, and this was one of my less liked episodes of Bones.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1325 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
Also, can someone help tell me how I can get screen captures on my mac?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1326 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
The forensic anthropology stuff always gets me. Every TV anthropologist can tell a persons name, favorite sport, and every person they ever slept with based on a small piece of their skull.

When in reality it is often difficult to get gender and broad racial categories.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1327 on: February 23, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1328 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:44 AM »
I love when Clovis posts two messages in a row.  The dancing is in perfect sync!  :)
(switchboard)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1329 on: February 23, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
The forensic anthropology stuff always gets me. Every TV anthropologist can tell a persons name, favorite sport, and every person they ever slept with based on a small piece of their skull.

When in reality it is often difficult to get gender and broad racial categories.

I know!  And even if you could tell all that stuff, what are the chances that that one person has something unique enough in their profile to definitively ID them?

Interesting coincidence, though:  the illegally-obtained-grafts-giving-recipients-diseases concept was a "ripped from the headlines" type story because a ring that was doing that (harvesting tissue and bone from bodies scheduled for cremation without families' knowledge or consent, faking records so that a 60-something year old guy who died of cancer is supposed to be a healthy 25 year old, taking tissue from bodies that had been left out for 100+ hours when less than 10 is the limit etc--complete nightmare) was busted a couple of years ago in NYC and Philadelphia.

And I know this because the Philadelphia Magazine article about the case was in the Best American True Crime Reporting 2009 book that I have and I read that article 2 days ago.  weird huh?

If you are curious the article is online:  http://www.phillymag.com/articles/body_snatchers/page1