Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228600 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #1610 on: April 02, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
Anyone else looking forward to Prince of Persia? It looks kind of fun to me, much like The Mummy series (not including that Scorpion Dung spin-off). A good popcorn movie. Much better than that suckathon Titan thing.

Yes, though I have never played the games.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1611 on: April 02, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Anyone else looking forward to Prince of Persia? It looks kind of fun to me, much like The Mummy series (not including that Scorpion Dung spin-off). A good popcorn movie. Much better than that suckathon Titan thing.

Yes, though I have never played the games.

Me either. I played Aladdin on snes and figured it was close enough.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1612 on: April 02, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »

Need you ask?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Zhankfor

• how lynch get pragnent?
« Reply #1613 on: April 02, 2010, 10:32:43 PM »

I'm looking forward to Gyllenhaal occupying two spaces on my top 5 movies in which ill-conceived time travel is badly used as a plot device.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #1614 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:51 PM »
Adam Arkin should be in more things.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1615 on: April 03, 2010, 09:08:46 AM »
I wonder if Hollywood was trying to send MLB a message with films like Rookie of the Year (1993), The Sandlot (1993), Little Big League (1994), and Angels in the Outfield (1994). All of them seem to be about the purity and innocence of the game and they were all released around the time of the last players strike.

Oh, and by the way, all of them are awesome and HUGE nostalgia picks from my childhood.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #1616 on: April 03, 2010, 11:54:25 AM »

I'm looking forward to Gyllenhaal occupying two spaces on my top 5 movies in which ill-conceived time travel is badly used as a plot device.

time travel is an ill-conceived concept.. therefor, any film that has time travel would qualify
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #1617 on: April 03, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »
http://www.slate.com/id/2248669/

Unless this article is satirical, which I don't think it is, this is quite frankly the dumbest article I've read all the way through in a farily long time. He's actively wishing for popular movies to be less smart. He also seems to think that a film being intellectual precludes being emotional, which of course, is nonsense.

"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1618 on: April 03, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »
He says "I want to feel something." The point he's making in the article is that some directors become preoccupied with creating something intellectual and fail to make something emotionally engaging. Also that certain directors are simply bad at making emotional films. That's it. He never suggests that it's one or the other, or that being a smart film is inherently bad.

I really don't see what's dumb about it. In fact I agreed with much of what he had to say.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #1619 on: April 03, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
He says "I want to feel something." The point he's making in the article is that some directors become preoccupied with creating something intellectual and fail to make something emotionally engaging. Also that certain directors are simply bad at making emotional films. That's it. He never suggests that it's one or the other, or that being a smart film is inherently bad.

I really don't see what's dumb about it. In fact I agreed with much of what he had to say.

But something being intellectual does not preclude it being emotional, like I said. The most emotion I got from a movie last year was from A Serious Man, and it was precisely because it made me think.

And come on, Avatar and The Hurt Locker aren't emotional?
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love