love

Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228069 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #2280 on: July 11, 2010, 07:48:20 PM »
I'm watching Goodbye, Lenin for ¡Keith!.

It stars Daniel Brühl, who I know from Inglourious Basterds.  (Didn't recognize him from The Bourne Ultimatum.)

AND IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BASTERDS, DON'T READ THE REST!!!!

In Lenin, his character is pulling a bit of a con job.  He constantly working angles and it's mostly a comedy and he's our hero.

Only...

Because of IB, I'm finding hard to believe his sincerity.  I admire how QT saw this film and figured out how these same acting beats could be applied to a much more devious character.

I'm enjoying the film as much as I can, but because his performance is remarkably similar I'm having a hard time getting past the stigma of what I've seen him do before.

Advice?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2281 on: July 11, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
Repress IB. It's worked pretty well for me so far.  8)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2282 on: July 11, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »
See Goodbye, Lenin before watching Inglorious Basterds or, failing that, have a bad memory for faces and not recognize him from one to another.

I guess what I'm saying is sorry, I got nothing. Don't know that is a kind of thing that would bother me.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #2283 on: July 11, 2010, 11:44:58 PM »

It stars Daniel Brühl, who I know from Inglourious Basterds.  (Didn't recognize him from The Bourne Ultimatum.)

AND IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BASTERDS, DON'T READ THE REST!!!!

In Lenin, his character is pulling a bit of a con job.  He constantly working angles and it's mostly a comedy and he's our hero.

Only...

Because of IB, I'm finding hard to believe his sincerity.  I admire how QT saw this film and figured out how these same acting beats could be applied to a much more devious character.

I'm enjoying the film as much as I can, but because his performance is remarkably similar I'm having a hard time getting past the stigma of what I've seen him do before.

Advice?

pick up some of his 52 other credits and give 'em a spin, should be able to disassociate him with the single piece by then ;)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #2284 on: July 12, 2010, 05:40:37 AM »

Advice?

I also watched Goodbye, Lenin after seeing Inglourious Basterds (three times) so he was fresh in my mind. It didn't get in the way at all as I became developed in all the stories - and why I jumped on iKeith's bandwagon for this recommendation.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #2285 on: July 12, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »
Guess what, suckers. I just bought Seven Samurai, sight unseen, just for you freaks. You wore down my resistence, though I am probably not a changed man.

Also, I started to watch My Own Private Idaho on the plane yesterday until I remembered the blowjob scene. So, I had to watch Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, so as not to be thought a creep by my fellow fliers. Not sure if the switch accomplished that, a bald 38-year-old man snickering at one of the dumbest (best) movies ever made.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2286 on: July 12, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
Guess what, suckers. I just bought Seven Samurai, sight unseen, just for you freaks. You wore down my resistence, though I am probably not a changed man.

You will not regret it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #2287 on: July 13, 2010, 07:51:07 AM »
How do you pronounce "Y tu mamá también?"

I'm guessing something like "eee tu mama tum-bee-enne"
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2288 on: July 13, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »
"E Two Mama Tom-be-en" I always thought.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2289 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »

You will not regret it.

Better make some coffee, alex.