Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228009 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #3260 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
The Quiet Man is super awesome.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #3261 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
I think C. S. Lewis said it best: "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

Sometimes it's less a fear of childishness as a fear of being thought a pervert.

I for one prefer to be childlike.

Which is ironic because CS Lewis was accused of being a pedo... Or was that Lewis Carol?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #3262 on: November 29, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »
The second one.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #3263 on: November 29, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »

so is quiet city

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3264 on: November 29, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
I. Love. This. Rant.

This is silly. Some people just dont like the medium (like me). It is no different than not being a fan of horror films or romantic comedies. Animated films tend to deal with a small subset of the human experience and it's a subset that does not interest a lot of people. It has absolutely nothing to do with being "too cool".

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #3265 on: November 29, 2010, 06:01:57 PM »
I. Love. This. Rant.

This is silly. Some people just dont like the medium (like me). It is no different than not being a fan of horror films or romantic comedies. Animated films tend to deal with a small subset of the human experience and it's a subset that does not interest a lot of people. It has absolutely nothing to do with being "too cool".

No, that's the point. Horror isn't a medium, it's a genre. Animation is a medium, just like short film or black and white.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3266 on: November 29, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »
Yeah, Lewis Carroll is definitely the one alleged to have improper feelings toward the daughters of the college Dean, including one named Alice. But that is a point of debate among Carroll scholars and may just be due to misinterpretation of certain facts based on modern moral norms. But the illustrations of some of the stories in my edition of his complete works are at least...interesting, in light of the allegation.

Don't think I've seen that but The Quiet American is pretty solid too.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3267 on: November 29, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »
I. Love. This. Rant.

No, that's the point. Horror isn't a medium, it's a genre. Animation is a medium, just like short film or black and white.

Well it's not really the medium that bores me (and I think many others), it's the themes it is normally used to express. I like Persepolis, Waking Life, Waltz with Bashir, South Park, etc. I, and many others, just dont find stories about Christian nuclear family values all that interesting and sadly that is the bulk of animated films.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3268 on: November 29, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
So with the addition of Kung Fu Hustle (first K film) I now have 23 of 26 letters represented. Are there any films starting with Q, X or Y that I should be considering? The, A and An are not counted toward the alphabetizing. First person to say Yiyi loses.

Quadrophenia
Quai des Orfevres

Xala

Yakuza Graveyard
Yellow Submarine
Yojimbo
You Can't Take It With You
You, the Living (though I'm 99% sure you've already seen this)
Young and Innocent
Young Frankenstein
The Young Girls of Rochefort
Young Mr. Lincoln
Youth of the Beast

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #3269 on: November 29, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »
I. Love. This. Rant.

Well it's not really the medium that bores me (and I think many others), it's the themes it is normally used to express. I like Persepolis, Waking Life, Waltz with Bashir, South Park, etc. I, and many others, just dont find stories about Christian nuclear family values all that interesting and sadly that is the bulk of animated films.

If one takes all of movie-dom as a whole you would find that more of them suck than don't suck. So does that mean that movies should be shunned like you shun animation?

love